40

THE KING
~ Arabella's pov ~

Love was in the air, blooming within each and everyone of the people that have brung themselves to the palace. Jaxson and I were separated- not his choice, and he was not happy, but he knew the next time he saw me I would be walking down the aisle to him.

I was stuck in a room with Josephine and Serena whom fought over fixing my hair. There was an ugly tension between Serena and I think it was because she knew I had a suspicion of her and Bridger.

I was going to finally let it go if she wished to share anything with me, then she would.

My hair is fully grown out, almost touching my bottom and I let it down, wishing for it to be natural for my wedding. Although, Josephine decided to pin back one side of my hair with a pearl pin, I could not help but love her idea as well. She knew too much about hair and the designs, so I left it to her.

"Turn around and face us," Josephine ordered me, and when I did my sister and my friend both gasped, holding shocked gazes towards my frame.

"Arabella," Serena gushes out a breath. With the shake of her head, tears form within her eyes. She then whispers. "Beautiful, you look beautiful."

"Thank you," I say gracefully.

Josephine clasps her hand together, smiling gently at her work of art she created on me. "You do indeed look beautiful, the king will be lost for words at the sight of you."

"Josephine..." I whine, thinking she was complimenting me too much. "Thank you," I tell her with a smile.

The door of the room opens, revealing Princess Lockwood. Suddenly, the room grows stiff and the girls are standing tall with grace. They smile at me, leading themselves out of the room to leave the princess and I alone.

"Princess Lockwood," I greet in a bow.

She looks over my being, smiling softly for the first time since she has met me. I was cautious, not letting my guard down when it came to her because I was afraid she would hurt my feelings in a heartbeat.

"He loves you," she whispers as if she is trying to persuade herself. She comes to realization with tears in her eyes, glistening when they meet mine. "He really does love you."

"And I too him," I told her softly.

"You are the definition of beauty." She nods her head, clasping her hands together in a form. "My son has done well, and I could not be more proud of him."

I do not say a word, frightened that she would flip her mark at every chance that I might be happy for once.

"And you..." Trailing, she states. "I owe you an apology for my actions and words I may have caused hurt upon you."

"Why were you so angry that he chose me?" I tilt my head in question, awaiting for answers; the truth perhaps.

She sighs. "I was always taught that royalty stays in royalty, that no one shall ever bring forth village people from no wealth to rule a kingdom. I was afraid that you were only after the stance of becoming queen and not actually loving my Jaxson."

"How did you know I truly loved him?"

"You came back after I ran you off, you willingly came back after I hurt you so badly." Her eyebrows scrunch as she cringes at her actions. She then shakes her head. "No strong queen would come back after, not after that embarrassment from another."

"I love your son enough to not care what you think anymore, perhaps what anyone thinks." I jut my chin up at the fact, becoming a strong force; no longer afraid of his mother, but owning her. "You say it takes strength and responsibility to become a queen..."