Pajamas and Decisions

Start from the beginning

Always the truth. We promised each other, Can answered.

Nodding her head, she said, Yes, we did. I asked him why he was here and he said..well..that he had come for me, she answered not knowing what Can's response would be.

For you. Can said, swallowing hard. It wasn't a question. He knew it. And why wouldn't the man come back for her? She's incredible. Unique. Breathtaking.

That's what he said. When I asked him to let go of my hand, he took it in both hands and that's when the photographer got into the room somehow and took the photo. Can, I have no idea what's happening or why he would say that. I haven't seen him in over a year. Haven't even spoken to him, she said, looking away, the tears starting to form.

Holding her closer, Can said, Sanem, I don't know this man but from what you've told me of him, it seems that something must have happened to make him suddenly want to appear back into your life.

As the words came out of his mouth, he realized what it probably could be.

The cover, Can said.

What cover? Sanem asked. Ohhh, the cover..Hello magazine. She stood up and started to pace.

But why? He wanted me to give all of that up to go with him to New York. Why would this matter to him? she thought out loud.

Because one of two things happened. He finally realized what an idiot he was for leaving you or somehow seeing your fame made him realize that he shouldn't have dismissed your talent, Can said quickly.

Or...he thinks that the recognition I'm getting will make me look more...acceptable..to his father, she said.

To his father? You didn't mention that, he said, sitting up straight, his face pained. This felt familiar.

Yes, one of the reasons he wanted me to leave my dance career behind is because his father thought it was..well..too beneath their family name or something like that. Engin said I wouldn't have to work when he got this new position and even though he encouraged my dancing before then, when this opportunity came up, his true colors came out. My budding career was nice but he needed a serious wife and life partner in this new role he was stepping into, she said, the pain still evident on her face.

Thinking back at his conversation with his own Dad, Can grimaced. Running his hand through his hair, he knew he had to have a serious talk with him. Now. Before he met Sanem. He wouldn't let her be hurt like that again.

Can? she said, as she stood in front of him. He was obviously lost in his thoughts.

Hmm, sorry. So what happened after he said that? he asked, pulling her back down to the sofa next to him.

I asked him again to let go of my hand and I walked out. That's why my phone was off. He kept calling so I let Leyla know that it was off for a few hours. I texted you but it must've been while you were in the air, she explained.

Well I'm here now, bebek. I'm so sorry you've had to go through this without me being here, he said as he held her.

Without thinking she answered, Can, it's ok. Really. Even if you were here, you couldn't have come.

Regretting her words and silently cursing herself, she realized his hand that had been making circles on her back had stilled.

Can, Can, I'm so sorry I said that. It's not what I meant. I know you would have come but we can't... she said quickly.

No, no you're absolutely right. It's like the incident with the journalist that put his arm around you. I'm your boyfriend but I can't be there for you. Because of my fame, we're in hiding instead of letting the world know you're mine. I can't be there the way you need, he said sadly as he got up.