Chapter 28

The first faint streaks of dawn were showing as Sandstar approached Fourtrees. Pausing on the bank of the stream, he glanced back at the warriors who followed him. His heart swelled with pride as his gaze traveled over each one. Fireheart, his beloved; Silverstream, the truest friend any cat ever had; Sorreltail, sensible and loyal; Brindleface, his wise deputy; Blossomfall, the newest warrior of Thunderclan, looking tense and eager at the prospect of his first battle; Longtail, who had discovered at last where her heart lay; Lionheart and Mousefur, a formidable pair of warriors; Ferncloud, reserved but true-hearted, and his apprentice, Ashpaw; Sandstar's own apprentice, Squirrelpaw, a glow in his green eyes and his fur bristling; and Brightheart, wayward but committed to his Clan, with Cloudtail, the cat he had brought back from the brink of death. Pain like claws tore at Sandstar's heart as he realized how much they meant to him, and what fearful danger they were facing now.

He raised his voice so that they could all hear him. "You know what lies ahead of us," he meowed. "I only want to say one thing. Ever since Starclan placed the four Clans in the forest, no leader ever had a band of warriors like you. Whatever happens, I want you to remember that."

"There was never a leader like you, Sandstar," meowed Silverstream.

Sandstar shook his head, his throat too choked for words. It was just like Silverstream to compare him to the truly great leaders like Oakstar, but he knew how far short of that he fell. He could only resolve to do his best to live up to his friends' trust in him.

Crossing the stream, he heard a whisper of movement from the direction of the river and glanced down the slope to see that cats of Riverclan and Shadowclan slipping quietly toward the meeting place. Sandstar signaled a greeting with his tail as the warriors thronged around him, swelling the ranks of his own forces.

He was relieved to see that they had kept their promise, though the look of hostility from Blackfoot told him that even though Shadowclan might be fighting on their side this time, they would never be Thunderclan's friends.

Sandstar spotted Pebble among the Shadowclan warriors. Rowanpaw was there too, looking nervous but determined. Blackclaw went forward hesitantly to greet her friends among the Riverclan cats, touching noses with Shadepelt. Runningnose and Brightsky, the two medicine cats, arrived together, each with an apprentice carrying their supplies, and pushed their way through the throng until they found Cinderpelt. The three united Clans went on to Fourtrees together, with Sandstar and Leopardstar in the lead.

When they came to the top of the hollow, everything was silent. The breeze was blowing away from them, toward Shadowclan territory, and Sandstar felt his pelt prickle with dread. Their scent would be carried to the waiting Bloodclan, while they themselves had no idea where their enemies might be.

"Silverstream, Mousefur," he whispered. "Scout around the hollow. Don't show yourselves. If you see any cats, come back and tell me."

The two cats slid off in opposite directions, barely visible shadows in the gray light. Sandstar waited, trying to appear calm and confident, thankful for the presence of Brindleface and Fireheart close beside him. He had barely time to think about what might happen next when Silverstream returned with another cat close behind him. It was Tallstar.

"Greetings, Sandstar," she murmured. "Windclan is here. All our warriors—and your friends, Raven and Patchpaw."

The loners came up as the Windclan leader spoke their names. "We came to help as we promised," Patchpaw meowed, twining his tail with Sandstar's in greeting. "We'll fight alongside you, if you'll have us."

"If we'll have you?" Sandstar echoed, a purr of gratitude swelling up inside him. "You're welcome; you know that."

"We're proud to fight with you," Raven mewed. Fireheart came up to greet her former Clanmates, and the two loners took positions beside her.