09. THE CONFESSIONS OF A TEENAGE GHOST

after sorting out the classroom logistics in the library, jenna found herself seated in mr

after sorting out the classroom logistics in the library, jenna found herself seated in mr. anderson's classroom, observing her boyfriend while maddie paced nervously.

maddie was in the front attempting to unlock mr. anderson's phone, but the face id feature stumped her. standing behind mr. anderson, the nears girl held the phone up to his face in an attempt to unlock it.

"i can't believe it." maddie huffed in frustration, struggling with the phone. "it won't recognize his face. i'm never gonna guess his passcode." with a defeated sigh, she tossed the device behind her.

with a sense of determination, jenna quietly approached lucas's desk, where his backpack lay abandoned. carefully unzipping it, she rummaged through the contents, searching for any clue that could shed light on what happened the night of her death.

her heart raced as she sifted through textbooks, notebooks, and assorted items until her fingers brushed against something crumpled at the bottom of the smaller pocket. pulling it out, she found a small ziplock bag. opening it, she realized it was just more drugs.

with trembling hands, jenna clenched the bag tightly. anger surged through her veins, overpowering any other emotion as she struggled to make sense of his actions. how could he have been so reckless, so selfish, to prioritize his addiction over her life?

tucking the bag into her pocket, jenna closed lucas's backpack and took a deep breath.

meanwhile, mr. anderson, monitoring a test, briefly checked the time on his phone at his desk., "3 minutes." he announced.

sprinting to retrieve the phone from his desk, maddie pleaded, "oh my god! unlock your phone! check your email! do something!" she then turned to simon, who was taking the exam in mr. anderson's class, "tell him to check his email."

simon glared at her irritably, unable to disrupt the exam for maddie's requests.

"what?" maddie marched over to his desk, "come on, don't you wanna know why he's got tons of money stuffed in his wall? or why he thinks he gave some of it to me?"

"simon. eyes on your paper, please." mr. anderson called out from his seat, noticing simon's wandering eye. "sorry." simon whispered, refocusing on his test.

maddie groaned, trying to unlock the phone again, "maybe it's his birthday.. i'm thinking '81, '82? did he have any dave matthews band in his car?" she looked to jenna for help, who wasn't exactly paying attention, "little help here?"

"don't look at me, you're the one who had the strange relationship with him." jenna muttered, her tone laced with nonchalantness. no one could know about what she found, not yet. jenna knew she had to tread carefully, biding her time until the moment was right to reveal the truth.