03. THE VIGIL/MEMORIAL FIASCO

after a grueling few days of adapting to ghost life, jenna decided to come back to the afterlife support group after all

after a grueling few days of adapting to ghost life, jenna decided to come back to the afterlife support group after all. though delving into her human life was interesting, she needed some kind of escape.

she hoped it would make the day a little less dreadful and pass some time. so naturally, the brunette groaned in frustration as maddie nears came stumbling towards the group in a panic. she was still off the rails and the moment of peace was officially gone.

"maddie? hello." mr. martin greeted her. "we just started the session."

"you want to help me, big shots? fine help me." the blonde screamed at everyone with a list of demands, "i need you to force a confession out of someone. you know, rattle some chains. inhabit his body. scare the life out of him. whatever it takes."

everyone stared at the nears girl like she was crazy. jenna didn't know why they were so confused. they were ghosts now, isn't that what ghosts do?

"what's the problem? i need you to channel all your ghostly energy and dangle this sack of shit out of a window until he cracks."

"okay, you're not getting it." charley chuckled. "that's not how this works, okay? it's not like in the movies. we couldn't do that, even if we wanted to."

"and i do want to." wally announced raising his hand.

"wait, so we can't haunt people either? god, this is so lame." jenna complained leaning back in her seat.

"yeah, maybe you're all fine just accepting this, but i'm not." maddie yelled. she was in full panic mode at this point, which was understandable since her boyfriend was caught with her cell phone.

jenna's mouth lowered in disbelief, "you think i'm fine just accepting this? please. for the most part, i liked my life here. but it's time for a reality check, nears. we're dead, D-E-A-D, dead!"

"aw, maybe you could come up with a cheer for us princess!" rhonda sarcastically commented taking her lollipop out of her mouth. the brunette rolled her eyes in response.

"at least you know how you died. i have to know what happened to me." maddie shouted back to the wolf girl.

rhonda scoffed, "we're not in some haunted house, chick. maybe this doesn't jive with your fantasy of what this should be, but we're quite literally a world away. we're not there. we're here. stuck."

maddie shook her head, "no. not good enough. you know, if my friends can't get the truth out of him, then i have to."

"what you're feeling right now is absolutely natural, maddie. you're longing for a sense of control. we've all been there. talking through it can help." mr. martin tried reasoning with her.

"i wasn't ready to die!" the blonde screamed. "talking about it won't change anything. if i have to search this entire town for answers, i'll do it. i'm not willing to just give up, like the rest of you."