Chapter 31: The Truth of Ater

Up close, Kukkiri's power blundered into her like a strong wind during a storm. The cold nipped at her skin and frost formed on her fur, instantly freezing to hard ice. Her hope flickered in and out like a dying candle. The white beast with the blue stripes, gnashing teeth and glowing red eyes thundered toward her on heavy feet.

"Vanna," Taro breathed out, "I'll be right here."

"And me, putcha," Rokki suddenly came to stand firmly next to her, digging his claws into the ground, "Lets burn this kiggi monster."

"Putcha?" She turned, arching her brow at him. It was a term of endearment saved for loved ones and family. Never had she ever thought something like that would come from him.

"What?" He bristled. "Can't I call you that?"

Taro groaned a sigh. "Keep working on her, Rokki, she's naïve."

Rokki hissed at him.

"What are you two arguing about? And I'm not naïve," she said, but both Rokki and Taro gave a dry laugh. Then Taro straightened his back and spread his wings. Kukkiri huffed and a puff of white steam came from his mouth. When Taro stepped forward the monster grumbled.

"He won't hurt me. I can bide time until you can get Ater working. Or do you need me to step aside to trigger—"

"It's hope," she said and reached for Rokki's paw without thinking. "Ater is hope."

Rokki gripped her paw. "Hope. Well, I hope for victory and peace."

"Let's do this, nestlings," Taro said.

"Nestlings?" Sovanna broke her concentration. Taro glanced over his shoulder and a blush crept to his cheeks. "You mean siblings?"

"I mean, well, do I have to explain? I never thought I would ever love you both like family."

Tears welled in her eyes. "Of course, we're family! Always. No matter what happens after this. If, if I can't ever see you again—" She yowled when Rokki dug a claw into her paw. "What the savat—!"

"Look," he said, pointing behind her. She turned and saw that Stopha, Najan, Trehan, Yavoa, and Scilia were all standing before the hoard of Aerisi on the ground, blocking the way of attack with their arms outstretched or weapons at ready. "They've dropped their weapons."

Sovanna didn't notice at first, but the Aerisi were not on the ground to face their land opponents. They had all let go of their weapons and were standing, gazing upon the beast as if they, too, had grown afraid. Some of them dropped to their knees and began to wail.

"We are bound to Kukkiri," Taro said and she noticed a strain in his voice now, "he's invading our minds. He wants us to give ourselves to him. He wants us to sacrifice, so he gets his magick back from us. Aurvandil may have told you. The ice magick isn't ours."

Atop Kukkiri was Kazo holding his head and wailing. Then he toppled, falling from the beast. Taro shot up to the sky. "Vanna, do it. Do it now!"

Sovanna watched in horror as Kukkiri moved his giant head toward Kazo, opening his wide mouth to eat the Aerisi. Taro raced toward his brother.

"Now, Sovanna, do it, now!" Rokki shook her arm.

Ater. She thought desperately. Ater, my hope.

Her breathing came fast. She had to hurry or both Taro and Kazo might die in the mouth of Kukkiri. More Aerisi began to wail. Then Taro caught his brother, but the weight pulled him down. Kukkiri roared so loud the sound pierced her ears and Sovanna crumpled to the ground, gritting her teeth as magick and sound whiplashed her. She could hardly stand or breathe. It was like someone was sitting on her chest.