Chapter 10: The White Tiger

"You sure he's dead?" Taro said again.

Sovanna, Taro, Rokki, and Oolid were all sitting in Oolid's living room again. The creature was using Oolid's bathtub to clean up, so Sovanna didn't get a chance to check how she was doing.

"Absolutely sure he's dead?" He narrowed his eyes as if trying to glimpse the truth in her irises.

Sovanna crossed her arms. "Third time's charm as Huamanoas say, but you're not gonna get new answer. I saw his bones."

Whatever that elder was, she believed in her gut it wasn't Sechalutha. And whatever Rathana was doing, she was making a terrible mistake, using whatever or whoever that was to somehow hypnotize everyone. Even Meda was smitten without question.

They should all be asking why he's alive.

"Could be anyone's bones," Taro countered with a tone of I-know-everything, "You know, some Humans figured out how to raise the dead and fake death."

Sovanna crossed her arms. "We're not Humans."

Taro copied her. "What if they helped?"

"They haven't cared for years, why now?" Sovanna grunted and stood up. "This stupid. Why talking?"

Rokki wailed in his chair, smooshing his face into the seat. "Why not bring back Fira? My sister. My only sister. My little," He paused and turned around, "She helped Praenglutha Rathana and this what she gets? Ungrateful little kiggi like her sister."

She glared at him. "I let you stay despite you tried killing me. Go kiggi yourself."

"Sovanna!" Oolid returned to the living room. "You're a lady. Don't use such words." He gave a huff and sat down on his own chair. "You're turning into your father. No disrespect."

"What's kiggi?" Taro asked. Rokki grinned and stuffed a finger in his mouth.

"Oh, I see." Taro's cheeks flushed.

Sovanna scowled. She couldn't believe she and Rokki were the same age. Males were so much more immature. Rokki then went back to whining which he had been doing ever since Sovanna shared the news about what happened.

The plan she had for Walk of Fire was gone now. There was no need to figure out who she could trust or not. She only had herself, really. Maybe Oolid and maybe Taro. Patria warned her against him, even going as far as to say he was trying to harm her, but Sovanna thought that Patria was a little paranoid. Taro saved her life. What evil would do that?

"Are we going?" Rokki sat up. "Fira would be scared, crying. I can't stay here."

Wish he would stay here, that savat, Sovanna frowned. It was becoming more and more obvious that Rokki wasn't going anywhere. He would probably tag along to the north with them.

Trita's okay? Not sure. Sovanna knew the elder was tough but how could she be sure Trita was safe and not hurt?

"Maybe moonrise?" she suggested.

Taro nodded. "The moon's light would be a better guide than sun. Warmth causes steam and can't see anything even during flight. You can see in the dark, right?"

Sovanna shrugged. "I guess better than you. But how would we survive the night?" She shook her head then because it didn't matter day or night, they would have to figure out how to survive in the frost either way.

"I'll control it."

"Alone?" Oolid rubbed his arms up and down as if imagining the chill. "I don't know if you can hold that up."

Taro stuck out his chin. "Doc, you don't know me. I'm quite confident in my magick."

Oolid snorted. "Sure, for sure. That's your ego talking and an ego never saved anyone."