Chapter 5

My filthy bedroom has to be cleaned up immediately. I take out my cleaning supplies and get to work. Since my desk is where the majority of the mess is, I start there. I can't help but stare at a photo of John B, Sarah, Pope, Kiara, JJ, and me that's placed on my desk. Rafe never claimed that I couldn't be honest with them. But, it was basically an unspoken "rule." However, I can't be that dishonest with my closest friends. If I told them, they would understand, right?

It's the better choice to tell them, I suppose. I hope they believe that Rafe set this up. Since I've already lost them, it's best to be honest and hopefully be friends again. Rather than lie.
'Can we talk?' I text the Poque groupchat. After a few minutes, my phone dings. 'fine. Meet us at seven pm, at mine.' JJ responds. 'See you then.' I reply. Seven PM is in a few hours. I begin cleaning again.

An hour passes, and I get a knock at my door. I open it. Before I can even look at the person, they storm in. 'Um, Hello?' I turn around, confused. 'Are you serious?' Rafe fumes. I frown, 'What do you mean?' I ask. 'You want to talk to those poques?' 'What- Rafe how do you even-' Rafe doesn't let me finish my sentence. 'Sarah told me you want to talk to them. What do you want to say to them, hm?' He says pissed. 'I— I just wanted to say that I'm sorry.' I hesitate. 'Bullshit. You want to tell them this is all fake, don't lie.'

I rub my forehead, 'Look, they have to know. I don't have any friends anymore because of you, Rafe.' I give in. 'That's not my problem, Valerie. You aren't going to tell them.' I roll my eyes. 'I know you're scared of them telling everyone, but why would they?' I say. 'Because they are fucking poques.' He says. I sigh, 'Seriously?' Rafe gives me a cold stare. 'Why do you hate them so much?' I question. 'Long story.' Rafe says. 'Right'

'No one will know about the fake dating, understood?'

I nod slowly. 'Yeah.' I mumble. 'Because you know what will happen if you do tell them.' He threatens. I nod again. 'I'll tell them I'm sorry or something.' I say. 'Cancel on them.' I frown, 'I can't do that. They will hate me even more.' Rafe's jaw tightened. 'Sure.' He sighs. Rafe walks over towards the front door, he gives me an intimidating stare and leaves.

I park my bike next to JJ's house. I approach them after spotting them sitting around a fire. 'Hey,' I say, and they greet me back with mumbled voices. 'I'm sorry. I should've told you all earlier.' I explain. Sarah nods slowly, 'Why didn't you?' She says. 'I- um, I was afraid how you guys would respond.' I stumble on my words. They all give each other glances. 'Look, I know I'm in the wrong. Just please forgive me?' I beg. 'Tell us the whole story, of how you began to like each other.' JJ demands.

I quickly think of a made-up story. 'So... we first talked at the bonfire, and then we started talking more and more. That's the story.' I say. 'Do you even believe yourself?' Kiara asks. 'What do you mean? Of course I do.' I state while I avoid eye contact. 'You're always with us at the bonfire. You never leave our side when we are there.' John B replies. 'Yeah, but-' I get interrupted by Kiara. 'It's weird, Valerie. Just tell us the real story of how Rafe and you got to know one another.'

'What? I'm telling the truth.' I say, trying to act confused. I try to remain calm, but it feels like they see right through my lies. Sarah shakes her head and looks directly at me. Her eyes tell me it's alright to reveal the truth. 'I don't think you're telling the truth at all,' She says. 'there is something more to this, and you know it. We know you, Valerie.'

'Well, then you don't know me well enough.' The words I say feel like I'm stabbing her in the back.

Kiara scoffs, 'I thought you were better than this. I don't believe your story at all. Nobody does. Just randomly being in a relationship with Rafe Cameron? After everything he has done to us. And the things he said to you? Did that mean nothing to you?' Kiara asks.

'Rafe told me he was sorry and that it was a mistake. Everyone makes mistakes, don't they?' I say. 'I don't think hitting Pope with a golf stick is a just mistake.' JJ snaps. I don't know how to respond. I can't defend Rafe in this situation, I don't want to defend him at all. 'It's weird, Valerie. Two weeks ago, you said you hated him. Now you are in a relationship with him? Things don't add up.' Sarah states.

I frown and stand up, wanting to get out of here. 'There is nothing more to this. I'm telling you guys the truth, and you all don't believe me? I've had enough of this.' I reply as I make my way over to my bike. I hear sighs behind me. I want to tell them so badly, though I don't want to face the consequences.

'That will be $19,99, please.' I say to the customer. The old lady gives me the cash, and I hand her the gorgeous bouquet she ordered. While she leaves, I put the money into the register. Then, a familiar face walks into the store. 'Caden, right?'

'Yeah, you're Valerie if I remember correctly.' He says. 'Yeah, nice to see you again. What can I help you with?' I ask him. 'Just a bouquet of red roses, please.' He says. I nod and grab a pre-made bouquet of roses. 'Who is the lucky girl?' I question. He chuckles, 'My grandma.'

'That's nice, what's the occasion?' I ask. 'Just because.' He replies while he pays. 'That's so sweet of you.' I state. 'Yeah, she's been lonely a lot, so I thought I cheer her up.' He says. I smile, 'Well, I'll see you around.' He waves me goodbye and walks away with the flowers in his hands.
While he leaves the store, he greets Rafe, who walks in. I roll my eyes and sigh. 'Oh, Rafe is that you? You have grown so much.' The owner of the store, Maria, says. 'Yeah, that's me.' He says, slightly confused. 'It's me, Maria. I used to babysit you when you were eleven.' She smiles. 'Oh, yeah, right, I remember you.' He says whilst giving me glances.

'What flowers are you searching for? We have almost everything." She says proudly. 'Actually, I want to talk to Valerie.' He admits. Maria points to us, 'You two know each other?' Maria says surprised. I nod slowly. 'Yeah, she's my girlfriend.' Rafe smirks. 'Hablas en serio?!' She blurts out in Spanish. I laugh uncomfortably. 'Sorry, are you two seriously dating?' Maria asks. I nod. 'Wow, that is amazing.' She is grinning even more. 'I'll go have my break, so you lovebirds can talk.' She walks away into the small lunchroom.

'What the fuck are you doing here?' I ask. Luckily, no one is in the store. 'I saw you and Caden in here, I thought I would come in and say hello.' Rafe says. I sigh, 'Right..'

'How was the conversation with the poques two days ago?' I chuckle, 'So this was the reason you walked in. It went fine.' I say. I continue to make some bouquets for the store's display. 'Just fine?' 'Yes, just fine.' I reply, not wanting to say details about the conversation. If he finds out they don't believe me, he'll be mad at me for creating an unbelievable story.

'What did they say?' Rafe asks. 'Can't remember, they just nodded or something like that.' I respond. He chuckles, 'You think I believe that? I've already heard the story from Sarah.' I frown, 'Why is she talking to you and not me?' He smirks a little, 'She isn't talking to me that much either. I overheard her talking to Kiara.'

'You really like spying on people, don't you?'

Rafe changes the topic. 'You came up with a shit story, you couldn't think of anything better?' He snaps. 'Not in that moment, no.' I mumble. 'You could have prepared your story, Valerie.' And then, in my luck, a man walks in. 'Go away, I have to work.' I whisper. 'We'll talk about it later.' He says pissed. He walks out of the store.

Hey guys, I'm sorry for the long wait. I didn't have a lot of motivation to write, and school has been stressing me out. Though I wanted to post something, so here is a short-ish chapter. I don't like this chapter that much, so I might edit it after a few days.