4.1 • Anonymity

I was the luckiest idiot on the peninsula. And I hated it.

"We're going straight back to the ship," Kienna hissed over her shoulder as she darted into an alley ahead of me. "Captain's orders."

I nodded at her back, too short on breath to reply. My life was starting to involve a whole lot more running than I was used to.

"Do either of you know where the ship is?" Sterling called from behind me. "We were wandering for a while before we found Kas. Thanks for telling anyone where you were going, by the way."

"Captain would have stopped me," I protested. After a breath, I added, "Think the water's to the left."

"He woulda stopped you 'cause your idea was stupid," Kienna said over her shoulder, then veered left between two buildings.

I followed, a little embarrassed and more than a little shaken. The street up ahead wasn't empty, and Kienna stopped, leaning against the building next to her as she caught her breath.

"Except climbing out the windows, that was brilliant," Sterling added as he stopped next to us. "How many times do you think he's gonna fall for that?"

I shrugged at him. In my opinion, that was nowhere near the coolest part of my plan. The frustrating thing was, it was also the only part of my plan that had worked.

Technically, I'd done exactly what I'd set out to do; Carter had been sufficiently distracted, and according to Sterling, Tarriva's own Sheriff hadn't put up much resistance as the crew took their supplies. But at the same time, I'd put the puzzle together completely wrong, and it had almost meant the end of my freedom.

Not only had I misread Carter's motivation, I'd underestimated his raw skill, just like everyone freaking else did. My shoulder still ached where he'd nearly gotten it out of socket. It wasn't just that he was stronger and faster than me; he'd gotten me into some sort of hold where I couldn't even try to move without yanking my joints past their breaking point. If the other two hadn't found me at exactly the right time...

"Arrokas," someone insisted.

I blinked, focusing on Kienna's pale blue eyes in front of me. Her prior attempts to get my attention were still fading into the alley's wooden walls.

"I forgot to give this back." She pulled Carter's revolver from her sash and held it out to me.

I shook my head. "You should keep it. I'm a terrible shot."

"Oh." Her eyes widened, darting between me and the gun. "Are you sure?"

I stared at the revolver, its golden inlays glinting in the sun. As a weapon, it would be better in someone else's hands. But it was more than that, wasn't it?

I snatched the gun from Kienna's hand.

"C'mon, let's move," Sterling pressed.

Kienna gave me an 'after you' gesture. I rolled my shoulders back and ran into the street, the other two on my heels. We darted past the few startled people and between two houses on the opposite side. The next street was even more populated, but no one was eager to get in the way of three sprinting hooligans with pistols, and we continued into the next alley without slowing down.

Clopping hooves sounded in the street ahead. This time of day, it was probably the loggers returning with lumber from the mountains, which meant no easily-stealable wagons. That was alright; we had to be near the edge of town by now anyway.

We ran into the street, and I glanced to the side.

I froze, and my boots caught on the cobbles. Sterling smacked into my back, barely grabbing my shoulders in time to keep me upright. "What?"