Jhun Thai 0 Chapter 7

Thomas arrived back home at his house in May Street at 11pm. He was already feeling tired and was ready to crash out on his bed. But his mood was low and he needed something to calm his already heated feelings. His training session with his coach, Douglas had been a disaster and for the first time in a long, he found getting into his training routine hard. No matter how hard he had tried to push himself tonight, he just could not find that spark to ignite his enthusiasm and passion for pushing himself. He put it down to having so much on his mind, especially his meeting with the strange woman he had shared a drink with last night and what she had told him. He tried not to think about it, pushing the memory to the back of the mind, but it always found a way of gaining his attention. It was like as if she had branded her words deep in his mind. He desparately needed to find a way to get back to his old self.
His house looked exactly the way his state of mind was, with clothes and various boxes scattered everywhere in his hallway and dining room. There were various dumbells, with weights on his living room floor, and stacks of magazines stuffed on his sofa, not to mention empty pizza boxes and beer cans on one of the chairs.
Taking out a beer from the fridge, Thomas went to his living room. He pushed aside the stack of magazines on his sofa and then switched on his flatscreen HD TV that he had purchased a month ago to watch a bit of TV. He believed it would take his mind off things, even though he was tired and that he should really be going to bed. He opened up his can and then began flicking through the eighty or so channels he had trying to find anything of interest to watch. Even though the selection of programmes on display was vast and that he was spoilt for choice, there was nothing that really caught his interest. Eventually, after a minute or so, he decided to switch on the Satellite TV News to see what was going on in the world.
The headlines were all about the big banking crisis and stock market crash that had gripped America, a crisis that was having a knock on effect on Europe and the rest of the world as a whole. Even though Thomas did not understand finance and economics, the current crisis had his attention glued and he watched as the newscaster interviewed some economic expert called George Ares on his views as to what was happening. The predictions he gave sounded very bleak and dire as he forcasted a recession that would affect the whole world, especially America and most European countries. Even though the big major banks like Goldman Sach's had been bailed out, this expert claimed the trouble was only just beginning and that millions were set to lose their jobs in the coming years.
Thomas remembered the meeting that was held at his workplace, a meeting, he himself had not attended due to lateness. He recalled the look of worry and concern on his co-workers faces as they were told at his workplace the management might be considering downsizing due to declining demand for its services.
"Because of the recent crash, investors will be pulling out of the stock market, confidence will be low in the economy and this will not be good for small businesses," explained George Ares.
"So you are saying that things are going to get worse?" said the newscaster, trying to ascertain what George was saying.
"We are going to be in for some very hard times," was George Ares's reply. "The grim hard truth is that this recent crash has proven just how fragile our global economy really is. Nearly every nation is up to it's neck and drowning in debt. What we will be seeing is a lot of businesses going under, even big name companies downsizing their workforces. People will lose their jobs and many will lose their homes. Inflation will skyrocket and I believe there is a danger that if fail safes are not put in then it will spiral out of control and what we will have is hyperinflation, possibly within the next few years. People need to realise just how serious this situation really is..."
Thomas switched off the TV, not wanting to watch any more. After hearing this guy talk, he now felt very unsettled about what he said. He began to worry about the possibility if he lost his job. Even though he was earning some money on the side being a fighter, what his brother said to him last night, rang true, that sales from his last fight were not as good as his previous fights. Thomas did not even realise just how less he had received from his last fight until he had lost it all by splashing out on a nights partying and some fancy clothes. He had not bothered counting his cash that his promoter and manager had given him, but his brother, Travis had seen it clearly. Thomas knew he was not yet a big time fighter earning big money and he realised now just how foolish he had been lately, acting all arrogant and big headed because he held a title as Stoke-On-Trent cities kickboxing champion. He began to wonder just how much money he had in his current and savings accounts. Just because he was a local champion did not mean he was rich enough to splash out lucratively.
The words of the mysterious woman he had met last night, Tamara, began to ring out in his head. She had warned him that his life was about to take a drastic turn and she even mentioned that the world was on the brink of big changes as well and that this would affect not just him but everyone. What he had seen on TV was indications of this and alarms bells were now starting to ring in his head. He never believed in anything supernatural or out of the ordinary, but now his world was starting to become stranger. He began to wonder if she really was some psychic or mystic and could see into his future. That she could see far enough to warn him of his coming downfall, where everything he held he would lose and that this would set him on a new path.
For the first time Thomas felt something he had not felt in a long time, worry. He did not even notice that he had not drank a drop from his can of beer which was still fizzing inside. He put the can to one side and then retired to bed, trying his best not to let his worrisome thoughts get to him...