Chapter 42: One Month

Start bij het begin

"How are you feeling today?"

"Still a little sore, but it's not bad." I wrung my hands together.

"Is Max here? I thought I heard Connor screaming."

I nodded.

"Have they seen you yet?" He walked around his desk.

I shook my head. "My mom said they were here when she came to get me. Sasha ran off to see Connor, so I'm sure they're playing some game."

"That would explain it. What did your siblings think?"

I shrugged. "I don't think anyone was surprised. My fur and hair match." I reached for the place on my chest.

"Yes, that is an interesting marking. It's uncommon." He sat across from me. "But you have nothing to worry about. I don't need to see a werewolf's fur to know their rank. Perk to being the alpha."

I tried to smile but was too nervous. "My dad warned me not to get my hopes up about my rank. After a month, I'll most likely change back and be stuck as a human again."

"Sorry."

"Nothing to be sorry about. I'll be human, so it's not like I can meet the standard of a dominant."

"I would like to finish your profile. It's been missing a certain picture." He grinned at me. "I knew you'd be red, but I'm still excited to get to see it. So cheer up, pup. The worst is over, so enjoy the time you have left. My father already said he's going to be working hard to find a way to make this permanent." He motioned to me.

"Monthly trips to Wolfsbane?"

Andreas scoffed. "No, I should ban you from ever going there again, or at least say you're not allowed within a hundred feet of Jet."

"Sorry if I caused any problems for the pack."

Andreas shrugged. "Judah was adamant he knew nothing about it, and Jet only cared about what you looked like. He didn't give a damn about anything else. Annoying bastard. He admitted to everything and had the nerve to demand images because they supplied the drug." The alpha stood. "My secretary is going to take your picture tomorrow, so come to work with your dad. I'm sure he's going to want to show you off anyway."

"I'd rather not be paraded around," I laughed nervously. "This form does have a time limit."

"Too late." He went to his desk and lifted his phone. "You have no idea how many pictures your mother has been sending around to the family."

I let out a huff. "I'm aware. My grandparents called, and all my family on that side have been texting me. She's telling the whole world. We plan to visit this month so they can see me in person."

Andreas laughed. "She's excited for you. We all are." He held out his hand to me. "I don't know about you, but I'm starving."

I went to him, and the alpha clasped my shoulder.

"We'll figure out a solution, and then you'll get your rank."

Nodding, I smiled slightly. "It's still dominant, right?"

He patted me back. "It never changed. Even considering your beauty mark." He winked at me and left the room.

My mouth fell open. "Where did you hear that? Did my mom say that?" I chased after him. "Did she say that to you?"

The alpha simply grinned but wouldn't say another word. I kept asking as we made our way to the entryway. I was sure my mom slipped and called my gold spot a beauty mark. I told her not to! Now, the whole family was going to tease me about it.

"Rudy!" Max stood at the bottom of the steps. "Is that you? Another red werewolf in the family." He snatched me when I came into reach. "Look how tall you are now." He held me by my shoulders. "I'm going to be able to use you now. Drake is going to have some help when I take over."

"You are far from taking over," stated Andreas. "Focus on raising Connor while I lead the pack."

Max laughed and put his arm around my neck. "So, what do you think? It's a bit of an adjustment, right?"

"Huge," I breathed.

I spotted Jax. "It was the worst pain I had ever felt. I have a new respect for human-borns."

Jax lifted his chin. "At least one of you understands now. See." He hit his mate's side. "You should be nicer to human-borns. The process isn't fun."

"It's miserable," I added.

The smell of barbeque filled the air.

"Mmmm..." said Max. "Someone opened the back door. I think it's time to eat." He looked around. "Connor? Where did he go?"

Jax rolled his eyes. "Sasha snatched him the moment we walked inside."

"Then let's head out back."

I followed along to the back patio. My dad was tending the grill with Max's father and Drake supervising. Connor spotted us. He looked at his parents and then me. He wandered over and just stared.

Kneeling, I was worried he might cry. I did look different. "It's me, Rudy."

The pup grinned and held out his arms.

"It's based on smell," said my mother, who was setting the table. "Connor wasn't going to forget his favorite cousin."

The pup examined my face and messed with my ears. He seemed to approve and was content to have me hold him.

Andreas picked up a plastic cup filled with soda and lifted it to me. "It's been a long time coming, but we couldn't be happier for you, Rudy. You finally get to experience life as a werewolf in your proper form. And I think you're going to make a fine werewolf."

I smiled slightly. "Thanks."

He drank from his cup and let out a satisfied breath. "Alright then, let's eat."

***

Feel free to Link, Comment, and Share! Full Story is complete on Patreon (link on my profile); more is available on Radish Fiction.