Knowing he wouldn't get much more of a response than that, Blaze turned his attention toward the movie. Whenever he felt as if a jump scare was coming up, he would try to distract himself by eating the popcorn or sipping on his drinks. Although, it hardly worked.

Another jump scare occurred, causing Blaze's body to jolt as a few screams sounded from the cars surrounding them. Movement beside him caught his attention instantly as Kai moved his body closer to his before lifting up the blanket on top of Blaze's body, and pulling it over his body as well.

Blaze turned to watch him, but Kai's eyes were still on the screen as if nothing had changed. As if he hadn't pushed the side of his body against Blaze's. Swallowing, Blaze returned his attention to the movie. It was hard to concentrate on the storyline when he was hyper aware of his mate's body beside his. It got even harder when he felt a hand rest on his upper thigh.

He didn't dare look in Kai's direction, instead he kept it on the movie screen. He wished he had looked away when another jump scare appeared on the screen, causing him to grab hold of Kai's hand resting on his thigh. A soft chuckle leaves Kai's lips as the pad of his thumb rubs circles on Blaze's skin soothingly. Blaze didn't know if his heart was racing because of the movie or his touch. Probably a mix of both, if he had to guess.

Blaze focused on the feeling of Kai's touch, reminding himself to breathe normally at the same time. He allowed his body to relax into the mattress, not realising how tense his body felt earlier. Before he knew it, his eyes were feeling heavy as he softly dropped his head onto Kai's shoulder. The other didn't complain or tense at this, instead he continued tracing circles around Blaze's skin, luring him to sleep.

*

"Should we wake him?" Blaze's ears managed to pick up in his sleep.

"It's fine. I'll carry him upstairs." Blaze felt his body getting picked up from the leather surface of the car seat. He immediately wrapped his body around him, knowing who was holding him. Head falling on his shoulder once again, breathing deeply into the crook of his neck.

"Look at you being all nice."

"Shut up." Blaze could feel the words vibrating against him.

He felt too tired to open his eyes or converse that he was awake. Instead, he focused on the body carrying him, taking in his scent and warmth. "I'm going to take a shower before heading to bed," the other voice, Silas, informed Kai as they climbed up the stairs.

"Mm-hmm," Kai hummed as they reached the top. The sound of a door shutting indicated Silas going into the bathroom as Kai walked into Blaze's room. Kai shut the door behind them before lowering Blaze down onto the bed. He must've bent down because next he was undoing the laces of his sneakers before tugging them off his feet. Blaze felt the doona fall on top of him as Kai tucked him in.

Blaze didn't know what to expect next, but a soft kiss to his forehead wasn't it. His brain was trying to process it as he heard feet shuffling away from him before the bedroom door opening.

"Kai," Blaze called out in a raspy voice, eyes now open and on Kai, who was standing in the doorway. "Please don't leave me." Kai's body turned around to face him timidly. He seemed taken off guard upon hearing Blaze speak.

"I'll be back soon," Kai whispered. "I'm just going to get some water and ready for bed," Kai he said the last bit gently.

"Promise?"

"I promise," he answered immediately. "Go back to sleep." Blaze mumbled in agreement, as Kai left the bedroom, shutting the door behind him. But Blaze wasn't able to fall back asleep, not with the memory of Kai's lips on his forehead etched in his brain.