Chapter42: Okaa-chan

Start from the beginning

The gifts were all very simple, but there couldn't have been anything better for her to get. Besides, she appreciated their presence more, even if she hid behind Mikoto the whole time.

Fugaku was awfully pleased with everyone. Even though Shisui and Izuna were little, themselves, they too had brought gifts for their friends. He would have to thank their parents.

Again, the scene shifted to something more serious.

On that same night, once everyone had left, Tama ran a terrible fever. Mikoto put her to bed, thinking that she was just overwhelmed by all the attention she got. Itachi, the sweet thing, refused to leave her side, and ended up sleeping next to her.

Deep in the night, she suddenly awoke, a sharp, stabbing, pain in her stomach. She couldn't stop the blood curdling scream that would escape her lips, and immediately, Itachi jolted awake.

He placed a hand on her forehead, and immediately fetched cold water. When Mikoto arrived, Itachi had just escaped an uncannily powerful choke hold, and was pouring water in Tama's face in hopes of waking her up. However, the person who was there was no sister of his. There was someone, something, that gazed at him with such a deep, longing gaze that he felt it would consume him alive.

"Ta- Tama-chan...", he trailed off, scared in a way that he never thought possible. Mikoto swept her up. And the last thing Tama could remember about that night, was her brother's soft sobbing as her mother frantically cried out for her father.

Another memory played out.

Mikoto, Tama, and Itachi ate Mitarashi dango with anko sauce, Itachi' favourite sweet, as the sun began to set outside. It was comfortably quiet in the house. Four year old Itachi looked at Tama mischievously, and whispered into her ear.

"Do you think it'll be a girl?", he asked, suppressing a giggled. Tama shook her head rather briskly, a beamush smile on her round little face.

"It'll definitely be a boy," she whispered, sneaking a glance at an amused Mikoto. "And he'll be just like you."

At this, Itachi paused and cast her a quick glance. He was flattered, Tama never said such things on a normal day. She was usually trying hard not to say much at all.

The scene changed. Now, they were six years old.

Tama would disappear for days on end, never once giving a warning or anything like that. Itachi had just passed his class with flying colours, and was excited to share the news with his sister, but she never stayed long enough for him to be able to. These days she barely even showed up to class. Every time she was around, it was because she needed rest before she would leave again.

Fugaku was beyond furious at this behaviour, but Mikoto seemed only a bit worried. However, it was odd that Emi reported that she never missed a session with Master Sora, or her lessons with Chiko-sama.

"Tama-chan is a growing child, don't be too harsh when you talk to her lest she learns to completely avoid you. She'll come around, you'll see.", she would say as Fugaku scolded the girl. "Besides, Chiko says that she's well versed in history and civil affairs. Sora say says that she's a strong fighter and might grow to weild a good Sharingan."

She sounded like someone who had hope for the girl, but as time went on, she stopped saying much altogether.

One day Fugaku and Mikoto were in the kitchen, having a conversation that had the place taught with tension, when Tama came home from wherever she used to go. Itachi was in the next room with baby Sasuke, listening.