𝐎𝐟 𝐌𝐢𝐜𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐌𝐞𝐧 | 𝐄𝐮𝐠𝐞𝐧𝐞 𝐑𝐨𝐞

Start from the beginning

"Yea...I suppose he interrupted all of our lives." He shook his head looking down at the blood stained sink. "Im sure you'll like Easy Company, lots of great men, as a medic; you'll get to know them quickly, through blood and bandages..." He scoffed.

"Well I heard the paratroopers are the best, and I wanted to serve with the best." You looked over at him grinning.

"You heard correct."

"Could I get some water?" You heard the man who Doc Roe previously stitched up ask.

You looked at Roe as if asking permission.

"Go ahead (L/n)." He said graciously.

You filled a canteen to the brim with tap water, and hurried over to the wounded man.

"Here you go private..."

"Webster." He smiled as he shook your hand.

"Nice to meet you Webster." You grinned, taking a seat at the end of his bed and assisting him in sitting up.

he leaned towards you. "Hey this might be a weird question, but I overheard you saying you were attending college. Where'd you study?"

"UCLA, and by the way you compose yourself i'm assuming you're an educated man too huh Webster?"

He scoffed. "I guess you could say that. I studied literature at Harvard."

"Wow a Harvard boy."

He chuckled.

You could see Roe out of the corner of your eye watching the exchange, He had an intimidating smolder about him that you would have to get used to.

You re-engaged into the conversation trying to ignore Roes glare.

"So what's your favorite book then Webster from Harvard?"

"You can call me David." He grinned. "I would have to say "Of Mice and Men."

You eyes lit up. "I would have to agree with you there, what a superb story."

"Im so glad you agree! I like your style." He smiled. "What's your name?"

"(Y/f/n), but you can call me (Y/n), or Doc of course."

"Getting to know the men?" Roe approached.

"Just Webster from Harvard here." You teased.

"You should really be resting Webster." Roe insisted.

You looked up at him curiously.

"You're right Doc, I'm sorry." David replied.

You shrugged to him and stood up, placing a blanket over his body.

"Wait." Webster grabbed your hand. "If you could figure out a way to smuggle some books in here that would be greatly appreciated." He whispered.

"I'll see what I can do." You smiled. "Now rest, I don't think I wanna see Roe when he's agitated." You joked.

"Very funny (L/n)." Roe said as you walked alongside him to exit the building.

"We were just having a conversation, did I do something wrong?" You asked genuinely. You were trying to figure out why he looked like someone pissed in his Corn Flakes.

"what? No. Why would you think that?" He asked confusingly, looking over at you.

"Oh...it just seems like you keep shooting daggers at me."

"Wasn't my intention, sorry (Y/n)." He kicked the rocks underneath him. "Anyway Battalion HQ is just up the hill. Captain Winters will see to it that you find your quarters for the night." He walked off before you could reply.

You stared at the back of him wondering what the tension was that you were feeling.

The truth was; Roe didn't know how he was going to navigate working with a female medic. He hadn't had female company in so long, and as much as he'd hate to admit it, you gave him butterflies. However, Roe wasn't going to let his emotions get to his head, he had much higher priorities to think about.

𝟐𝟐:𝟎𝟎:

You heard a knock at your door as you sat on the edge of your bed brushing your hair.

"come in."

It was Eugene.

"Oh sorry I didn't realize you were ready for bed, is this a bad time?" He said, embarrassed at the sight of you in your long silk nightgown.

You chuckled. "Nothing to be sorry for Doc." You motioned for him to sit next to you.

He sat down, leaving a gap of distance between the two of you.

"Everything ok? You seemed to rush off in a hurry earlier." You said as you braided your hair.

He stared at you, admiring how pretty you looked in your night attire. "Thats what I came here for, I'm sorry if I made things awkward earlier, it's just I didn't expect you to be so...attractive." He scratched the back of his head as if he said something wrong.

"You think I'm attractive?" You felt an uncontrollable grin form across your face.

his cheeks flushed red. "Oh...well you know what I mean, it's just been awhile since I've had female company and I-"

You interrupted him. "Its ok Gene, I think you're attractive too." You gazed at his features, he really was handsome.

You felt the gap between you start to close as he scooted in closer, but ultimately stopped himself.

"I don't think it's a good idea actually." He said with your faces still inches apart.

"Oh." You pulled yourself back to reality. "Yea no you're right, we're going to be working closely together it would be foolish to go there." You tried to convince yourself.

"Not that I don't want to." He grinned.

He could see the disappointment in your face, but you understood what he meant.

"How about we save it?"

"Save it?" You looked confused.

"When this is all over, you and me?" He nudged you.

He wasn't a man of many words, but you picked up on his request.

"You and me." You nodded, shaking his hand.

He gazed into your eyes. "Oh, I got you something." He reached into his inner jacket pocket and pulled out a paperback copy of "Of Mice and Men."

You looked at him astonished. "Eugene...how did you even find it?"

"I'd never tell."

He had such a secrecy about him that you couldn't read into. It was comforting in a way, like he had the key to life.

You smelled the pages as you flipped through them. "I can't thank you enough Eugene, truly."

"Consider it your welcome present." He said as he got up and headed to the door.

"Oh and (Y/n)." He turned around.

"Yes?"

"Don't let Webster borrow it." He smiled.

"I wouldn't dream of it." You chuckled as you held the book close to your chest.

he subtly waved goodbye and exited. You could tell this was going to be the start of a beautiful companionship.