Chapter 1

Bryn Archer cursed the full moon. If it hadn't been for the glow of its iridescent light, he would have been in and out of that castle within a matter of minutes and on his way home.

Mission completed.

As it were, the bloody thing beamed with all its might and dominated the sky as he stood looking out from the edge of the world. His destination, a sharp-angled castle, protruded from the back of a huge stone beast, an ink-black sea lapping at its paws. They only had an hour as it was,the time when the potion the High Witch made them to be able to see through the castle's veiled protection would wear off.

"Can't you do anything about that bloody light?" Bryn hissed over his shoulder.

"How many witches do you know that can make the moon disappear?" said Connor Phillips.

"You're the only one I know with lunar manipulation and I don't want it gone just..." Bryn brushed his thick fringe out of his eyes and chewed on the inside of his cheek. "Less."

"My, you are a man of words," Connor's older brother Shane stepped out from the cover of the dense forest, chuckling to himself.

Bryn ignored Shane and whirled round on his best friend. "Can you do it or not?"

Connor Phillips pushed him out of the way, muttering under his breath. "Can I do it?" He strode until he stood where Bryn had been, toes over the edge of the cliff at the most North-Eastern point of the United Kingdom.

"Shake a leg Connor. We're in Scotland in November and it's fucking freezing," said Shane.

"Behave you two. Let's remember we're here for Jack. In and out. A five minute job. Or I'll kick your arses."

"Ha ha. You could try, Archer."

Bryn smirked. "Well, the High Witch could."

Shane rocked his head from side to side. "Fair point, my friend. Fair point."

"Will you two shut it? I need to concentrate." Connor closed his eyes and focused on his breathing. Normally, either one of them would have taken the piss at Connor's sharp tone. But not tonight. Both Bryn and Shane were aware how important it was that they rescued Jack Middleton and in order to get to Jack, they needed to sneak into that foreboding castle.

Bryn and Shane watched, shoulder to shoulder as Connor raised an open palm up to the moon. His shoulders rose and fell in a steady rhythm. Then the wind increased. Gales hurtled from across the open sea aiming right for them. Except they didn't come within an inch of their faces. A tornado of wind, sea spray, leaves and dirt wrapped itself around Connor. It tore at his hair pulling it upwards. The fingers on Connor's outstretched hand began to flex. Open then closed. Again. Finally, his hand tensed, turning rigid like the rock beneath his feet before his fingers closed in a painstakingly slow movement.

And the moon's light dulled as if someone had turned the brightness down using a dimmer switch.

Bryn would never understand Connor's unique gift. He had a core manipulation, they all had but once in a while a witch would receive an extra ability making them highly prized by High Witches of all covens.

As bright, silver rays rotted to darker grey, the wind encircling Connor died, dropping leaves and mud onto the cliff edge. His shoulders drooped and his body shuddered.

Bryn started to count in his head. Force of habit since that incident. He formed a fist by his side, hidden from Shane. One. His thumb jutted out. Two. Forefinger followed. Three. Middle finger. Come on Connor. Four.

He didn't realise he'd been holding his breath until Connor turned around with half-glazed eyes and a lazy smile for the two men he called his brothers.