Chapter 29: Girl On A Mission

Happy birthday.

The message I received on my birthday night from the last person I thought would remember.

A frown settles on my lips are I stare across the street to the neighbor's.

You ever cried the whole night for a guy who you're not even official with and probably never will be?

Well, that's been me since I saw Noah and Scarlett last week. The images still vivid and painful, especially now that I see Noah's absurd black jeep in their yard through my window.

He's home 24/7, but I haven't seen him in so long. Too long. I must admit I miss his company, can't blame me, I got used to it. But now that he's completely kept his distance and won't make any move to even talk to me, it hurts.

"Hey," that's Caleb. He barges in my room almost everyday now that I've gotten used to it. "I see you love my present."

He refers to the glue bottle on my night stand which he gave me as a gift for my birthday. The same bottle we were supposed to put in Noah's bathroom as a prank but never did. Now when I look at it, all I want is to use it to glue his dick inside his asshole for ignoring me.

"Best thing I've gotten in my entire life." I make sure the sarcasm is evident in my tone.

He flops on the bed face first, before letting out a resounding growl, and I sit next to him, patting his back.

"Didn't get any sleep again?"

"Yeah, Mom was all over the place and--" he pauses for a second, "she kept yelling at my dumb brother cause he was playing music too loud."

"Again?"

"Uh-huh."

Noah’s been playing music late at night the whole week , I wonder what's going on with him.

"Hey, is he dating that girl, the one he brought along to homecoming?" I keep my tone even and ignorant, not wanting him to catch on. "The hot brunette."

"Who, Scarlett?" He lifts his head briefly.

"That's her name?"

Wow, I'm really good at this.

"They probably screw each other."

That's not a yes, neither is it a no. My chest visible deflates but Caleb's head is buried in the pillow that he doesn't notice, thankfully.

"So.... you and Lucas, huh?"

I sigh, "nothing's gonna happen, I made that very clear to him."

"Good." He smiles.

Caleb is the only one I told about Lucas's birthday message seeing as Olly would have lost his mind.

I didn't respond, I didn't know what to say. Lucas and I are awkward as hell now and I don't mind it staying that way. So keeping my distance and letting him know I'm doing it on purpose is the only way to keep it safe.

"You're so ballsy now," he drags me on the bed by the waist, earning a small laugh, "I'm proud of you."

Now he's laying on his side, his arm still on my waist as he stares at me with a warm smile on his lips..

"What?" I ask when he keeps staring.

"Nothing," he grins "I just--"

"Hey kids are you ready for--" Jessica bursts in but covers her eyes when she sees the position were lying in. "I am so sorry I should have knocked, I had no idea--"

"What, no. Don't worry about it." I assure her, getting up from under Caleb's heavy arm. "Caleb was just--"

"Heading out," he finishes for me, getting up as well.