SIX

you were stood silently by alex's side as cole walked over to you two

you were stood silently by alex's side as cole walked over to you two . after hearing alex's previous comment, the crowd of people at the bonfire hushed, eager to hear the argument between the two walter boys.

"you're delusional, cole!" alex exclaimed, his frustration evident. "you don't know anything about jackie and me."

cole's expression twisted with anger. "i know enough to see you're not right for her."

"what do you know anything?" alex replys.

"i know that you don't deserve jackie." cole says.

"you think you're better for jackie then? you really are clueless, cole!" alex's voice was tinged with frustration as he shot back at his older brother.

cole's expression hardened, his retort cutting. "at least I don't use people to avoid my feelings. you're just using jackie to get over (y/n)!"

at the mention of your name, your eyes widen. you turn to look at alex, who is not looking at you but at jackie, shaking his head to deny that statement. you felt hurt.

alex's jaw clenched, his temper flaring at the insinuation. "i'm not using her! i care about her!"

cole's gaze narrowed, his words calculated to strike a nerve. "care about her? you're only fooling yourself, alex. admit it, you've been using her as a distraction."

the words struck a nerve within alex, his features contorting with a mix of hurt and defensiveness. "that's not true, and you know it!"

cole scoffed, his tone filled with disdain. "but it is though.. you're just running away from your feelings for (y/n) by latching onto jackie."

you look at alex, wide eyed. he avoids your eye contact.

"you're so blind, alex!" cole continued.

"stop.. this has nothing to do with (y/n)." he mutters.

cole's jaw tensed, his tone sharp. "oh really? who was your first kiss at this very bonfire? who's been your number one priority forever? jackie i wouldn't be having this."

you look at cole with shock. you shake your head at him.

jackie's expression darkened, hurt flickering in her eyes at the revelation. "what? alex, is that true? you kissed (y/n)".

"please that kiss meant nothing, it was ages ago, jackie!" alex laughs bitterly, his tone defensive. "it was just a game."

his words stung you more than you had anticipated. you tried to conceal the hurt that washed over you but you couldn't. you shoot a hurt look at alex.

his dismissal of your shared moment felt like a sharp jab, the weight of his words echoing in the air. you had never looked to much into that innocent kiss, but to hear it brushed off as something so meaningless left an ache in your chest—a painful reminder of unreciprocated emotions you had hidden away.