Leanne

Joey coming to the hospital that day was not the best idea.

I was already exhausted and frustrated. The only good thing is that he paid for my dinner. But after I changed out of my bloody scrubs, I listened to his cocky words saying how he traveled a whole hour to just see me.

He then took my hand and said, "You know...I've been thinking a lot--"

"Congratulations."

He seemed surprised at my mock but remembered of my sense of humor and only did a soft chuckle. He gave my hand a soft squeeze and I looked at it in his. His hands were cold because the hospital was cold. It was as cold as the heart that stopped beating just an hour ago...

My stomach did a flip and I looked at my plate half empty. Nausea wanted to come to me again as I heard him say, "I was thinking about us a lot...What if we finally give it a try, Leanne? We're older now. I can come and drive every weekend. I'll do it! I promise!"

My heart was stabbed at his words. I felt like crying. I really was fighting back tears as I gently pulled my hand out of his. He looked at his empty hand and his brows furrowed with confusion.

"Joey--"

"Leanne, please. You know that everyone always knew we would be together! We were made for each other! My parents...your grandparents! They all always saw us as perfect for each other!"

I started to get angry at his explanation. He still cared about what others thought.

"That doesn't determine whether we will do well together or not," I firmly said. "We haven't even talked in years! I...I don't know you!"

He did a scoff. "What do you mean, Leanne? It's me. Joey. Your best friend..."

Yes. He was my best friend. He looked like him but he was still a stranger to me. He grew up, but I have no idea who this adult is. He is not my best friend. My best friend was the fifteen-year-old boy who happily taught me how to play the piano. The boy that had a gentle look and a humble smile. This man was the complete opposite of that boy I once called my best friend.

I was left speechless. It hurt to think of words to explain how much this excuse stabbed my heart. He didn't even ask me how my day was...

My strength started to grow weak as I looked into his dark eyes and I had to say, "I'm sorry...I can't...You can't call yourself something that you lost a long time ago. I can't risk hanging on empty promises anymore. I don't want to get hurt by you. I just got to see you again. I don't want to lose you once again because we were not meant to be."

Joey did a scoff in disbelief and sat back in his seat. He seemed annoyed and it hurt even more as he shook his head at me in disappointment. "You won't even try? What's so bad about me? You're walking away again?! I chose you! They all chose us! God has made a way after all this time! We can do it!"

Chose me? I then realized what happened before. I made his heart stir when we met again but there was someone else. I was his second choice. I was the person who would look the best in front of everyone.

I had the urge to run away and let out a loud sob. My heart has disintegrated already with the lady on that surgery table. It had died a little back there and he had decided to finish the job.

But I was too tired to say anything or fight back. I have for so long with him anyway. So I softly apologized and let my eyes fall on the table. Joey continued to click his tongue in annoyance. He must have been regretting traveling so much just to see me. He's not the only one I have broken after traveling just to see me.

The tears were ready to come out until I looked up at a familiar voice. It was Cristina approaching us with wide a grin. She did a small chuckle and said, "There you are! We have an emergency case on the pediatrics floor! Please you need to scrub into a surgery!"