Ch. 19.3 - Three Suspects

Start from the beginning

Petra: "Uh-huh...? And why would you care so much about whether you look suspicious or not?"

Dan: "Because I'm scared! There's someone out there actively murdering people to get that flint and steel; I don't wanna be next, okay!?"

Petra: "And that's supposed to be an excuse? You do realize you just made everything more complicated with your lies, right!?"

Dan: "Please! I'm telling you, you've got the wrong guy! Honest! I would never hurt anyone; you've got to believe me!" Petra just sighed aggressively as a response. It didn't look like we would go anywhere, so I decided to step in.

Jesse: "Okay, I can maybe understand why you did it, but for the love of God, please just tell the truth from now on, alright? For yours and everyone's safety!" Dan looks away, dejected, while Petra continues to judge him with her stare. The room stayed silent for a few moments before Dan finally responded.

Dan: "Al...right..." I nodded back while Petra continued to raise her eyebrow. It was obvious he's still shaken up from being yelled at, and I can't really blame Petra since we still don't know if he's truly innocent or not, but I still want to give him a chance to explain himself before we accuse him any further.

Jesse: "Okay, I'm gonna give a few questions. Answer them honestly, okay?" Dan nods slowly. "Okay. About the flint and steel thing, so you were the one who found it first?"

Dan: "Y-Yeah... it was inside this old temple I found not far away from home. We were all in this big hunt to get to it first, and I was the one who found it before anyone else. It was supposed to be mine! Well... until someone stole it... And now everything's gone absolutely crazy!" Suddenly, Aiden came into my mind. Urgh... I don't like the parallels...

Jesse: "So... this flint and steel must have meant a lot to everyone, huh?"

Dan: "You don't get it! I and everyone else have been chasing each other to get that thing for years! And now people are DYING because of it? I just want to get out of here alive! Please! I'm NOT the White Pumpkin! You've gotta believe me! What can I tell you to convince you!?"

Jesse: "Okay, okay! Calm down for a moment, alright?"

Dan: "Sorry! Sorry! I talk a lot when I get nervous. And I'm very nervous right now..." I shake my head.

Jesse: "Let's just do one question at a time." Dan nods back. "So you mentioned someone stole the flint and steel right after you got them. Who was it?"

Dan: "I... I don't know."

Petra: "How do you not know!?"

Dan: "I'm sorry! After I found it, I brought it back home and put it in my chest for safekeeping. But the next day after I woke up, it was missing!"

Jesse: "So someone sneaked into your house and stole it without you knowing?" Dan nods.

Petra: "Wait, how did you not notice someone breaking in or anything like that!?"

Dan: "I'm a heavy sleeper, okay!?" Petra slaps her forehead. Well, it does sound weird at first, but then again, I'm kind of a heavy sleeper myself, so I can sorta see where he is coming from. Well... if he doesn't know it himself, then questioning him further about this won't lead anywhere, so I decided to change to a different question.

Jesse: "Okay, let's just continue." I pull out the tipped arrow that killed TorqueDawg. While Dan does have a possible motive, that being getting back the Flint and Steel someone stole from him, motive isn't the only big factor here. The traps that killed TorqueDawg and Sparklez were pretty complicated, meaning the person who built them must have an extensive knowledge of redstone.