Ch. 14.3 - The Enchanted Flint and Steel

[Jesse's POV]

Petra: "Wow, this place is really shaping up!" The giant window at the back illuminated the room, along with the dozens of pillars holding up our treasure. On top of the pillars were all sorts of treasures and other important stuff we'd collected since we became the New Order.

While we walked through the room, we soon noticed the silhouette of a person standing on the other end of the room. As my eyes started to adjust to the sunlight blinding my view, I could finally make out who it was.

Petra: "Lukas! I didn't expect you to be here!" Lukas jumps, turning around with a shocked face.

Lukas: "You scared me for a second!"

Jesse: "Heheh, sorry."

Lukas: "Hey, how, uh, how's it going?" Lukas scratched his head, slightly embarrassed.

Petra: "We just brought home some amazing stuff from that jungle temple we went to. You should've seen it for yourself!"

Lukas: "Must've been a wild treasure hunt, huh? Haha!"

Jesse: "Hey...! Great to see you, Lukas! Where have you been?"

Lukas: "Yeah, it's been a while."

Petra: "It's been a day..." We awkwardly look at Petra. "What? Just saying facts."

Lukas: "Umm... you know, just helping with the rebuild projects here and there."

Jesse: "Oh, right..." As the room turns silent again, Petra turns to whisper in my ear.

Petra: "(You're not gonna tell how you've missed him?)"

Jesse: "W-What?! I didn't-!" Turning my gaze over to Lukas, I realized how he was already looking at me, embarrassed.

Lukas: "Ah... you were..."

Jesse: "...A little bit..." Lukas turned his head away with a slightly red face. Goddamn it... it's turning awkward again. Why is this so hard?!

Lukas. A person I never thought I'd meet before the whole Wither thing happened. How did it all lead to this moment? It's been a month now. Even though we technically get along well as friends, the moment things turn beyond that, things get awkward, which sucks since I really do like him.

I admit that I'm not good at reading people. It would be so much easier if I could know what he is thinking about this. And lately, ever since Reuben died, he's been really helping me get back in shape. I just hope I'm not being too much of a burden to him. While we were shrouded in silence, Petra interrupted us by changing topics.

Petra: "So, what were you doing here?"

Lukas: "Oh, I just thought, you have some pretty cool stuff in here. And you have so many other treasures. Boy, you've sure been busy."

Jesse: "Yeah, it is pretty awesome, right?"

Lukas: "Oh, wow. You framed it. Er... him..." Our attention immediately shifted to the portrait hanging on the wall beside us. It's a portrait... of Reuben. And hanging above it is an item frame with a pork chop in it -- Reuben's pork chop -- the only thing that remained after Reuben's body decayed.

Jesse: "...Yeah..."

Lukas: "...How are you doing?" Memories flooded my mind in that moment. I couldn't figure out how to respond properly. I know it's not good to keep thinking about that stuff, but I just couldn't help myself.

Jesse: "I... try not to think about it... but... I... ...really... really miss him. Every morning I wake up and, just for a minute, I can pretend that he's just in another room or rooting around outside looking for carrots... and then... every morning... I get to remember all over that he's gone..." The room is shrouded in silence again. It was starting to get excruciating.