Ch. 18.3 - The Pieces All Lined Up

[Jesse's POV]

The pink-haired girl led the four of us out of the kitchen and into the hallway. We spend the journey mostly keeping an eye out on the girl, as well as looking out for any potential traps laid throughout the mansion. Weirdly, the hallways didn't seem to contain any traps -- at least any I could spot. Still, we can't afford to make the same mistake, there's no way I'm leaving my guard down again.

After a slow walk through the ominous hallway, the pink-haired girl eventually makes a turn towards the stairs leading to the ground floor. Slowly, we descend down the stairs into what I assume is a lobby of some sort. There, we spotted another person waiting there, along with a... cat beside her? It wasn't long until the red-haired girl wearing a blue cap and glasses noticed us and turned around.

??? 4: "Lizzie! Hi! Did you see all of these new -- Oh, you've got them with you." Lizzie responded with a wave as we started walking through the room to her. Apparently, the pink-haired girl's name is Lizzie. It seems she already knows who this other person is, but we also can't forget the fact that she might be a potential suspect, so I chose to keep my eyes on her just to be safe.

Petra: "Umm... Jesse? Do you see those?"

Jesse: "Eh?" Petra pointed to one of the walls. I was focusing on the people in the room, so I didn't notice the 'decorations' till now.

On the walls of the lobby, a bunch of paintings were visible... but not just any paintings... they were portraits... portraits of us...

??? 4: "Well, first it was just the portrait of the people already here, then poof... you guys..."

Above what I assume is the front door... is a painting of me. On the left wall... were paintings of Lizzie, that red-haired girl with her cat, and three more people I've yet to encounter. And finally, on the right wall... were portraits of Petra, Lukas, Ivor, Sparklez, and... TorqueDawg. Ominously, TorqueDawg's portrait alone had a big red X crossing it out. Together, there were 11 paintings -- the same number of people presumably in this mansion. Just... what is this place?

Jesse: "Whoa... that's... unexpected..."

Petra: "Yeah... no kidding..."

Ivor: "They're absolutely exquisite! Perfect!" Ivor throws off the mood again by being the only one not getting creeped out.

Lukas: "Well... not 'perfect'..."

Ivor: "Absolutely. Perfect!" Ivor cuts Lukas off to continue admiring his portrait. Lukas looks away, looking slightly annoyed. Looking back at Lukas's portrait... I can see why he'd be upset. I didn't notice the first time since I was speeding through all the portraits. All of the paintings looked strangely accurate to the actual person, except Lukas's portrait, which had a giant red nose for some reason. Normally, that would've made me laugh, but considering the situation we were in, it only made the whole mansion feel even stranger than it was before.

Jesse: "Well, this just made everything 10 times creepier..."

??? 4: "Right? At first, I was like, 'Oh cool. Fan art. Flattering.' But the more I thought about it... 'creepy' is definitely right..."

Jesse: "Um... and you are...?"

??? 4: "Oh, sorry! I'm Cassie Rose. Nice to meet you! Oh, Winslow says hi too!" Her cat, whose name is apparently Winslow, meows in response. I glanced back at her with a doubtful look.

Lukas: "Okay... this is... interesting and all... but what does it mean exactly?"

Lizzie: "No idea. When I first got here, I had the same reaction."