Chapter 3: Stealing the Spotlight

"Hey, Katrina. Are you auditioning for the musical this year? Auditions are today and tomorrow." Nathan was a senior, tall. Hot. Blonde. But, he was my best friend. We grew close after messaging each other on Facebook, then texting.

"I don't know. I just got back from Disney and I had food poisoning all day yesterday. I feel gross. My vocal cords are fried." I rubbed at my temples.

"You should do it!" Nathan told me. I shrugged my shoulders in response.

But I did it. With Ryanne and Alana, a freshman now. I started with the singing portion, totally destroying the song that I sang. When I was over, I knew my face was flushed because I was so embarrassed.

All of the sudden my choir director stood up, clapping and said, "That is how you walk into an audition and do the audition professionally after being super sick for two days. Thank you so much Katrina!"

I nodded and went back to my seat next to Ryanne. Oh god, they're definitely not going to cast me, they said all of that so it wouldn't hurt when I find out.

Ryanne smiled at me when I sat back down next to her and whispered, "You did a good job, considering how sick you were yesterday."

I whispered back, "Yeah, but I'm not going to get a part."

Ryanne said nothing in response and it was Alana's turn to sing. She stood up, and sang confidently, hitting every note perfectly and held her calm composure the whole time. Everyone applauded when she was done.

Ryanne was next. She has been doing musicals since she was in 5th grade, I believe even before 5th grade. Ryanne is a seasoned professional, amazing dancer and amazing. I knew that I wasn't going to be able to get the part, so I was getting myself excited to just be on the cast.

Think about the awesome costumes you'll have! It will be so cool! And all the music I'll get sing. Maybe I can be a first soprano. And some other cool people are auditioning too! This won't be too bad!

Then came the acting portion of the audition. Ryanne went first. The script that Ryanne, Alana and I all got was for a little girl named Susan. They said her age was below 10 years old. I looked at us all and knew that I was at a disadvantage again. I don't look like a 10 year old at all. My boobs were too freaking huge!! I was getting down about it again, but I remembered how much fun I'll have in chorus.

Ryanne went on stage first, walking calmly to meet her "grandfather", smiling while doing so. She basically had her lines memorized and talked through them with ease.

Next was Alana. She stumbled a little bit, but regained her self and smiled once or twice.

I knew my turn was next, but I was worried. I didn't want to go down without a fight. So I thought. What would my sister do if she saw my grandparents pull into the drive? She would either skip or run outside to greet them. Ok. So I'll skip.

That's when I skipped on stage and I heard the casting crew mutter. I smiled and was perky, because what kid isn't perky? I believe I even hugged my "grandpa"!

When I was done with my acting portion, the casting crew began to switch who read what lines. I soon began to notice that they didn't really call on Alana for the part of Susan Waverly, but they were switching between me and Ryanne.

Then, the director started give me orders, things like "Try it like how you said it the first time..." "Maybe smile after you say that.." "Ok, now look confused..." And I did everything he asked.

After this long process, my choir director stood up and thanked us all for auditioning and said that we would know who got what part by tomorrow.

I packed up my stuff and saw Ryanne heading for the down and I caught up to her.

"That was pretty fun, right? Who do you think will get it?"I asked, adrenaline still pumping from being on stage.

"Oh, yeah, it was fun. I think that it's honestly between you and me. I'm excited!" Ryanne smiled at me, and was really enthusiastic.

"Yeah, I'm excited to see what will happen tomorrow! You did a really good job, by the way." I could sense the excitement in my own voice.

"Yeah, you too. Well, I'll see you tomorrow!"Ryanne looked out into the parking lot for her moms car and she had spotted it.

"Yup! Bye!"

-------------------------------------------------

The next day, Ryanne and I walked together to see the casting list. I knew that my chances were slim, but I wanted to be there to see what numbers I would be in.

When we showed up and finally pushed through the crowd, I gasped in shock.

I... I did it... I got Susan!! What?!?! seriously?!?!

I smiled, but stopped and looked over at Ryanne. Oh sh!t. She didn't get it....