Tʜᴇ Oᴛʜᴇʀ Sɪᴅᴇ ᴏғ Hᴏʟʟʏᴡᴏᴏᴅ

Start from the beginning

"You saw me the other day. I can't play without them." Julie says

"Yeah, but you have Layla now."

"They'll be here. They have to." Julie says almost sounding like she was trying to convince herself.

Layla sighs as she stares up at the ceiling. Flynn taps her wrist before she walks back toward the table. Layla notices Nick walk up behind Julie again. She groans to herself. The last thing she needed was his optimism.

"Issues ?" He says

"Always." Julie says as he sits down beside her, "My machine won't work." He goes to pick it up, "You don't have to."

He grabs the cord pulling at it before he realizes Julie was holding onto it, "Here's... the problem."

He plugs it in and turns it on. He turns it off before standing up, "That is unless... you didn't want it plugged in."

Layla rolls her eyes. Obviously.

He then helps Julie stand up, "Hey, don't let this crowd freak you out. What I saw last time you played was insane. You got this." He says as Julie smiles, "I knew you had it in you."

Layla jumps up, "Wait. What ?"

"Hey, everybody !" Nick says over the mic, "We fixed the hologram thing. Who wants to see a show ? Come on."

The crowd cheers as Julie's eyes widen, "Now... give it up... for Julie and the Phantoms !"

The teens cheer louder as Nick waves Julie over, "Come on ! Come on. Here you go."

He hands Julie the mic before getting off stage. "Uh...Hi." She chuckles awkwardly, "So here's the thing... even though we got the machine fixed, thanks to Nick..."

The crowd cheers as he looks around.

"I can't seem to link up with the guys. Wi-Fi, am I right ?" She tries to joke, but just gets murmurs of confusion, "I'm sorry, but... I'm gonna have to cancel."

"What ?" A couple of students say

"Are you serious ?"

"I'm leaving !"

Layla notices Carrie walking up the steps, "Um... Anybody know the Heimlich ? Julie's choking."

The students laugh as she continues up the steps toward the table. "Only one way to save this dance."

She takes the microphone from Julie, "Who wants to see Dirty Candy ?"

There are cheers as Carrie reaches to play her music. Flynn beats her to it and twists the knob off. "Oh ! Oops ! Knob's broken."

The crowd groans as Carrie's face hardens, "Okay. Two can play at this game." She then turns to the crowd, "Party at my house !"

She drops the microphone on the table as the teens cheer. She reaches for Nick to help her down the steps. He hesitantly takes it before everyone exits the gym.

Layla finally comes out as Flynn wraps her arm around Julie. They get to the front of the stage as Janet approaches them. 

"Well, that kind of backfired." Janet says looking up at them

They look over as a boy and a girl stand up from a bench together, "Oh, I mean, the whole night wasn't a bust. The new guy found someone." Flynn says. Flynn's jaw drops as they start to dance together, "Little man has game !"

Julie chuckles as she leans her head onto her friend's shoulder. Flynn pulls her closer as she smiles.

Janet looks to Layla who couldn't look more disappointed. While Layla was disappointed, she had a feeling this would happen.

She was prepared for it. Like always.

_______________________________________

The girls decided to preoccupy their time with helping Janet take down decorations. They were now popping all of the balloons that Flynn and Janet had blown up hours prior.

"I can never show my face at this school again." Julie says

Flynn sighs, "That's what we get for depending on boys."

"I don't know if I should be mad or worried." Julie says, "They're ghosts. I don't know what kind of trouble they can get into."

"You know what ?" Janet says, "I'mma get us some ice cream from the cafeteria. Fools gave me the keys."

She says standing up. Flynn stands up with her, "I'll come with. We can crash at my place and forget about this whole nightmare."

Julie chuckles as they start to walk off, "Get me two... of everything."

As soon as the girls walk out, Layla and Julie hear rapid footsteps.

"Julie, we are ready to rock this dance," Reggie says as they run in. He stops in front of them, "which is clearly over."

Layla huffs as she pops another balloon. Julie stands up before helping her cousin up. The two turn to the boys with very angry looks on their faces.

"Look, we are... so, so sorry that we bailed on you." Luke says

"Yeah, I mean, the night really got away from us." Alex says

"And the twins." Reggie mutters causing Luke to hit his arm.

"Just please tell me it had nothing to do with you getting back at Carrie's dad." Julie says.

"Pfft !" Luke says

"Oh, of course not." Reggie says, "No ! We wouldn't do that."

"Us ? No." Alex says in a high pitched voice

"No."

"Seriously ? You're lying to us ?" Julie scoffs

"Okay, look, it was something we needed to do." Alex says

"B-But we'll do whatever it takes. We'll play the next school-" Luke starts, but is cut off

"What ?" Layla chuckles sarcastically as she steps closer to him, "Another dance where you can bail on us and make us look like a fool ? Save it. You know what really sucks ? Our songs were good. And all three of you knew what we've been through, and how tough it's been for us to play, and then you do this ?"

The room goes silent as she looks between them, "Bands don't do that to each other. Friends don't do that to each other." She says before her voice goes quiet, "This was a mistake."

"You mean the school dance, right ?" Luke tries

"No. I mean joining a band with you guys." Layla snaps before she walks past him brushing his arm. Julie's eyes widen slightly as she notices.

"Layla..." He says softly, but she ignores him, "Layla !"

Julie runs after her as the boys stands there.

_______________________________________