chapter nine

( in jackie's perspective/ first person)

The next day, after what cole had said. He was right, i should not have come back. But did i really have a choice?

Going downstairs, i wanted to keep my head down. Facing alex after the awkward moment would be too hard. I tried to keep my distance. But when i leaned for some toast i came in contact with his hand. Great!
We exchanged glances and i quickly backed away across to the other corner of the room.

"Hey you kids better get going!" Katherine was all dressed smart, ready to leave for work.
"Um we would but we haven't seen cole." Danny was waiting patiently for his brother.
"Let me get him," the mom ran to the staircase "Cole! Wake up!"

There was no reply.

You could hear Katherine's high heals upstairs strutting to cole's room.
"Cole, i swear you will make me late!"
As soon as katherine opened the door, she realised he was gone.

You could see her sprint down the stairs.
"Okay kids so, i will take you to school. Cole is well not available right now, um let me just call your father." she disappeared quickly.
"Wait what's up with cole?" Alex's question was unanswered.

Everyone exchanged looks, what happened to him. Suddenly, guilt rushed over me. Was it my fault? Did he go somewhere? Was he gone gone?

~*~

At school there was still no sight of him. There was no gossip about him, so obviously he was very secret about his dissapearing.

I was painting in art class sat next to Grace while she was waffling on.
"So i was thinking we could go out to the market after school, i heard so many good reviews." i could barely focus, my mind was preoccupied.
"Mhm sure." my brush stroke the canvas.
"Oo and i was thinking you could help me shop for my mums proposal dinner, well i don't know if it's a proposal but i'm pretty sure Barry will propose to her," she snapped her fingers in my face "Jackie! Hello?"

"Sorry grace i'm just abit .. busy right now." I felt bad but it was not my fault. Once again it was all overwhelming. I could never have a break.

"I can tell, you keep zoning out today. What's wrong?" She was just looking out for me.
"Um nothing, but will you cover for me 5th period?" i had decided i was going to look for him. For once i needed to fix things, i couldn't afford him arguing with his family and disappearing just because of me.
"Wait you're skipping?" Grace grew a shocked face.

"Jackie!" our art teacher appeared behind me. Did he hear me talking about skipping?
"This is really something," he continued speaking "i'd say go lighter on the black. It's very um black."
"Um okay." i nodded.

As soon as he was gone i set a sigh of relief. His advice was very helpful. Go lighter on the black.

~*~

Fifth period came sooner than expected. At lunch i went in the car park to leave. It wasn't suspicious, lots of people had free periods. I was just not one of them.

I first started by walking back to the house, no one was meant to be home. But maybe, just maybe cole came back.

Before i would get in trouble, i had to sprint back. But, I was not in shape. The last time i had raced was a long time ago. I felt my heart pounding in the silence of my head. There was no one on the streets but me.

All this stress.

All this worry.

Cole better be alive.

~*~

"Cole!" I opened the door, no one had replied. What a surprise.
I jogged up the stairs, as if i wasn't already tired.
"Cole, please, you better be in your room." i needed to pause to take a breath before examining his bed. He'd not been home.

No hope.

but Where was i going to look now?