10 The Idiot's Lantern II

We were sat at a table and the guy that didn't hit the Doctor was questioning us, although it was mainly focussed on questioning the Doctor. He was called Detective Inspector Bishop.

"Start from the beginning. Tell me everything you know."

"Well, for starters, I know you can't wrap your hand round your elbow and make your fingers meet." The Doctor told him.

"Don't get clever with me." Bishop pointed at the Doctor. "You two were there today at Florizel Street, and now breaking into this establishment." My eyes, spotted the other man secretly wrapping his hand around his elbow, testing out what the Doctor said. "Oh, you are connected with this. Make no mistake."

"Well, the thing is, Detective Inspector Bishop..." The Doctor started.

"How do you know my name?" He demanded.

"It's written inside your collar." The Doctor answered. "Bless your mum. But I can't help thinking, Detective Inspector, you're not exactly doing much detective-inspecting, are you?"

"I'm doing everything in my power."

"All you're doing is grabbing those faceless people and hiding them as fast as you can." I speak.

"Don't tell me, orders from above." The Doctor said. "Coronation Day, the eyes of the world are on London Town, so any sort of problem, just gets swept out of sight."

"The nation has an image to maintain." Detective Inspector Bishop defended.

"But doesn't drive you mad, doing nothing? Don't you want to get out there and investigate?"

"Course I do." He answered sitting down across from us. "But... with all the crowds expected, we haven't got the manpower. Even if we did, this is beyond anything we've ever seen. I just don't know anymore. Twenty years on the force, I don't even know where to start. We haven't the faintest clue what's going on."

"Well, that could change." The Doctor told him.

"How?" He asked.

The Doctor stood up out of his chair. "Start from the beginning. Tell me everything you know."

————

"We started finding them about a month ago." Bishop told us as we looked at a map that has the locations of marked where they found the people. "Persons left sans visage. Heads just... blank."

"Is there any sort of pattern?" I wondered.

"It's spreading out from North London, all over the city. Men, women, kids, grannies. Only real lead is there is been quite a large number in..."

"Florizel Street." The Doctor answered for him.

"Found another one, sir." The other man came in.

"Oh, good man, Crabtree. Here we are, Doctor." Bishop said.

I just stopped staring at it. I think it was still covering the face, but a pink dress was visible. It could be, right?

"Take a good look. See what you can deduce." Crabtree pulled the blanket off, it was her, Rose.

"Rose."

"You know her?" Bishop asked.

"Know her? She..." The Doctor stepped closer to her, so did I, my hand was on my mouth.

"They found her in the street apparently, down by Damascus Road. Just abandoned." Crabtree explained.

"That's unusual. That's the first one out in the open..." Bishop said his voice was quiet to me, distant as I stared at Rose. "...we'll have Torchwood on our backs then, make no mistake."