Part 16 - The verdict

Start from the beginning

" Abhinav... " she called out as he diverted his gaze not wanting to do anything stupid .

" Haan ji.." he replied combing his hair still facing the mirror.

" kya mere mangalsutra abhi aapke paas hai?" She asked walking up to him.

Abhinav looked at her trying to read her expression. She looked composed and calm. He didn't want herself to force into something she didn't want to do.

He nodded and opened the wardrobe drawer and took out a small cover .

" Ye lijiye" he handed it to her.

She opened the cover and took out a chain and a pair of beautiful diamond earrings that she didn't remember owning .

" Wo.. you were wearing this during the accident. During the operation they gave both of this together in this cover" he explained . Akshara noticed his face grimacing in pain remembering the day.

" I don't remember this earring.. is this new?" She questioned taking both of the contents out.

" Haan" he said plainly not wanting to elaborate more.

Akshara kept the earrings inside her wardrobe carefully she raised the chain to her neck.

" Akshara.. please don't force yourself to wear it. I mean.. if you are not comfortable ... don't do it " Abhinav advised her .

" Don't worry Abhinav.. I'm not forcing myself.. this is a symbol of our marriage and I'm more than happy to wear it" she replied facing the mirror and tried to clasp it around her neck.

" Abhinav .. help kariye na" she asked after being unable to hook it properly. She turned around and moved her hair to the front for him to access the hook.

The water droplets from her wet hair was ascending from the back of her neck , slowly dripping through her back . Her hair smelling of lavender and enticing him. If he had tried to control his heart before , now it was a gone case.

He closed his eyes trying to regain his self control .

" Abhinav... kahan ko gayi aap" she asked as he opened his eyes and took the ends of the mangalsutra from her fingers.

He slowly moved it to close it around her neck and hooked it in his first try thanking every god he knew to making him escape the ordeal.

" Mei neeche jaata hoon" he went downstairs escaping the room.

As he left, Akshara closed her eyes letting out the breath stuck in her throat. Her mind recollected the past minute, she felt his fingers slightly brushing the back of her neck as he tried to clasp the chain. A jolt passed through her spine. His soft touch making her body shiver , her oxygen intake suddenly becoming higher . Surprisingly to her, her body didn't repulse his touch but rather seemed to need more.

Suddenly the swing vision from the previous day again made an appearance in her head.

'God! What is happening with me! What will Abhinav think of me ?' She admonished herself and turned around to check herself on the mirror . The small gold chain was so beautifully sitting now on her neck. After applying sindoor she too went downstairs for breakfast.

**************************************

" Abhinav Ji.. ek minute " Kairav called as Abhinav was about to go downstairs.

" Ji saale saab .. " he answered walking up to him.

" Abhinav Ji.. " Kairav scanned the surrounding for a second.

" I got a call from our lawyer.. Akshara's accident case is coming to session tomorrow . Eventhough we have ample evidence to prove that Manjari did the accident, the lawyer feels presenting Akshara in the court will be a positive thing for us." Kairav conveyed what the lawyer said to him.

" No Saale ji... Akshara doesn't even know how the accident happened till now...we can't tell her everything in a single day.. how will she handle the news that the cause of her accident was the same person who she once used to call as mom.. we can't take this Saale ji.." Abhinav rejected the idea.

" But Abhinav ji.. we have to tell the truth to her someday " Kairaav replied making Abhinav see his point.

" I know Saale saab.. but not now.. her health is too fragile.. till now whatever we have told her itself is too huge.. she is still processing all those.. we can't add more stress now.. atleast let a month pass I will tell all the truth to her.. but not now Saale saab." Abhinav answered worried about Akshara's state of mind.

" Abhinav ji..." kairaav started speaking to persuade him.

" Sorry Saale saab.. let's leave this here..we are already providing Akshara's medical report.. and it is clear that we can't present her in court.. it won't be a drawback and all the evidences are very clear and we will get justice in the case" Abhinav assured kairaav.

" What case you both brother in laws are gossiping about" they heard a voice from behind as they both turned stunned to see Akshara standing behind them.

They exchanged worried glances not knowing what to stay.

" Arre.. aap dono freeze kyu hogaya.. meine suna ki aap kissi case ke baremein baath kar rahe the.. kya hua?" She questioned. Abhinav was now confident that she didn't hear the whole thing.

" kuch nahi.. hum toh bas taxi union case ke bare me baath kar rahe the.. " Abhinav made up a story as Kairaav nodded his head .

" Theek hai.. chalo neeche chalthe hain,," she called both of them.

" Aap log jayiye.. mujhe ek important call hai ..mei aata hoon" Kairaav slipped into his room as both Abhinav and Akshara proceeded to the staircase.

" Abhinav.. I have read that if a person's suffers any big trauma due to accident , they will subconsciously develop fear of the object which was the reason of the accident.. but I am not at all feeling any fear using the stairs.. ajeeb hai na?" She wondered descending the stairs .

" Shayad" Abhinav passed a weak smile to her and raised his head to see the chandelier hanging above as a shudder passed through him.

**************************************

" The court holds Manjari Birla guilty in the case : attempted murder of Abhinav Sharma and causing bodily harm to Akshara Sharma and sentences her to life in prison" the judge read the verdict delivering justice .

With enough evidence against her , Manjari didn't stand a chance in front of the law.

Abhinav took a last look at the face of the woman who had been the reason of their misery and hoped to never see it again in his future and walked out of the court.

**************************************

Akshara came down from her room and sat on the sofa at the hallway of Goenka Mansion.

" Aare kahan gaye hai sab log, ek bhi Jeevan nahi hai kya ghar mei " she wondered looking around. But the house seemed empty.

A shadow of a figure walked inside the Mansion's gate and proceeded into the hall.

Akshara felt uneasy as the person became clearer to her eyes.

" Abhimanyu " she uttered as he walked in with a liquor bottle in his hand , his steps swaying under the influence.

**************************************

Leave your love for the story in comments and votes guys ❤️