But he didn't go anywhere. He remained at the doors and looked through the windows.

It was only when he heard distant shouting, he turned. Arthur was being held by a completely distraught John as he was told about the situation. Arthur's voice was hoarse.

"Artha!" Tommy shouted, walking to them and forcing his eldest brother to his feet. "Artha get up." Tommy scolded. Arthur looked at him sadly and held onto Tommy's arms. "Where is she?"

"They're giving her as much help as they can. But it's the same as last time, Arthur— she'll be so incredibly lucky if she survives." He said. Arthur shook his head and fell into Tommy's arms. "This wouldn't have fucking happened if you didn't send her down there! This is all your fault." Arthur cried.

Tommy didn't fight back, didn't refuse the blame. Because for once he agreed, it was his fault. John paced the room and leaned against the wall, stress consuming him.

-

Tommy stood over Maeve's bed whilst Arthur was forced home by Linda for Billy's sake. He stood with his hands in his pockets and took a deep breath.

"You've done it again, eh?" He muttered, finally sitting down. "You've escaped death. You were right all along, why be scared of something that will never catch you? By the sounds of it, you purposely stepped in front of John, knowing the risks of you getting hurt. But you weren't afraid. Because it never catches you."

She lay still on her back, her chest rising slowly. This time, she was far too lucky to have survived. The odds were definitely in her favour. But how many times would this happen before she didn't get to say she'd escaped it.

John had remained out in the hall, clutching onto a phone whilst Arthur rambled. "So she's alright— is she stable?"

"Doctors think she'll be here for a bit. Say she's lucky to be alive."

"Yeah well they said that last time didn't they?" He huffed, "if she wakes up— tell her that her dad is coming as soon as he can, yeah? Tell her i love her."

John shook his head. "Yeah, alright Arthur." He said before slamming the phone down.

"Was that Arthur?" Tommy asked when he finally left the room. John hummed in agreement. "I got in touch with Isiah too— thought he deserved to know she was here." John said sheepishly.

There was something about Tommy. He wasn't arguing but yet still had a cold look in his eyes. "Did he say much? Arthur, did he say much?"

John shook his head. "Told me to tell her a few things if she wakes up." He shrugged. "Tommy." He began, "you've got to stop putting her in positions like this. This has happened far too many times. She's only just turned eighteen, Tom."

"She likes to do it."

"She likes being shot in places that can kill her instantly if they were slightly to the left?" John raised his eyebrows, talking with sarcasm.

"No, she likes the jobs. She likes the sense of freedom and that people trust her. She likes to knowing we believe in her." Tommy said.

John inched forward. "If you believed in her, you wouldn't have sent her to fucking hang with the rest of us would you? You'd have kept her in Birmingham at your side like the mad dog you've made her."