Simple Mistakes

In the bustling corridors of Seattle Grace Hospital, the air was thick with the scent of antiseptics and the distant echo of pages over the intercom. It was just another day, yet for Mary Shepherd, every day held a new challenge, a new opportunity to prove her mettle. At only nineteen, she was a prodigious second-year neurosurgery resident, a title she bore with a mix of pride and the constant pressure to live up to the Shepherd name.

Her brothers, Derek and Mark, were renowned surgeons in their own right, pillars of support and sources of inspiration. Derek, a neurosurgeon, married to Meredith Grey, and Mark, a plastic surgeon engaged to Lexie Grey, were more than just siblings to Mary; they were guardians, mentors, and friends. After the loss of their parents, Derek and Mark had become her world.

Mary's journey to this point was nothing short of unusual. Losing her father when she was just an infant, and her mother, Carolyn, at the tender age of eight, she was raised in an environment saturated with medicine and compassion. Carolyn Shepherd, a nurturing and strong presence in their lives, had instilled in them the values of family, perseverance, and dedication to their craft. Mark Sloan-Shepherd, although not a Shepherd by blood, was raised alongside Derek by Carolyn, as his own parents were uninterested in parenthood. Mark, with his charismatic and caring nature, quickly became an integral part of the Shepherd family, treated no differently than Derek or Mary.

Growing up, Mary was profoundly influenced by her brothers. Derek, the eldest, took on the role of a father figure. He was always there for her, from attending school plays to teaching her the intricacies of neurosurgery. Mark, equally supportive, was the fun-loving older brother who could always make her laugh and was a constant source of encouragement. Their home was a hub of medical discussions, filled with love, laughter, and the occasional bickering that only strengthened their bond. Derek and Mark made sure to make Mary feel as loved as possible, even if the void created by the absence of their parents could not be filled completely.

Derek's marriage to Meredith Grey brought another dimension to Mary's life. Meredith, a brilliant surgeon in her own right, was not just a sister-in-law but a role model and confidante. Mark's engagement to Lexie Grey, Meredith's sister, further entwined their lives, creating a unique family dynamic where professional and personal lives merged seamlessly. As third and second-year residents, Meredith and Lexie were almost like sisters to Mary.

The five of them lived together, a household buzzing with medical jargon, shared meals, moments of quiet understanding, and loud banter. This unorthodox family was the Shepherd's sanctuary, a place where she could be herself, learn, and grow.

Today, Mary and Derek were making their rounds, their footsteps synchronized as they moved through the hospital. The absence of Meredith was tangible, as the older Grey sister had chosen to switch to general surgery from Derek's service to honor her mother's legacy. The sibling pair's next stop was the room of Lori, a patient who had come to them with a peculiar case. Lori, a recent law school graduate, sat propped up in her hospital bed, her face a mix of anxiety and hope.

As they entered the room, Derek greeted Lori with his usual professional warmth. "Good morning, Lori. How are you feeling today?"

Lori, trying to muster a smile, replied, "Nervous, Dr. Shepherd, but ready."

Mary took her place beside Derek, clipboard in hand. "We're here to make sure everything goes smoothly for you," she reassured Lori.

The conversation soon drifted to Lori's recent misadventure. With a hesitant chuckle, Lori recounted her disastrous job interview experience. "So I'm a week out of law school... Uh-huh. First big interview, huge firm. I've never had a better interview. So I stand up to shake hands, and I pass out... Right over the coffee table. Draped over the coffee table with my butt in the air."