III. I dream of Sticks and Mountains

No gods came to claim the two teens by evening, so for the first time in a long while, Two unregistered demigods were lodged in the Hermes department. Big win for them though, it was obvious that any Cabin would rather have those two on their side. Especially by this Friday. I wanted to confront at least one of them, but the two were inseparable.  If they were demons, the worst thing I could do would be to face both of them at the same time. Hell, I wasn't sure I could take one of them and live to tell the tale. 

Chiron called Annabeth from her College and told her about our interlopers. I was really hoping that she'd say something like ' Don't worry, they have a specific weakness,' Like she always does. Unfortunately, the deafening silence from her end of the phone said otherwise. She said she would check for the myth in the library and come back to us later. That reminded me.

'Chiron,  you didn't finish telling me about Sun Wukong,'

As before, the sky once again darkened. Chiron looked forty years older with worry.

'I'll tell you later Percy, I need to talk to Mr. D,'

That was almost a week ago. I had stayed in camp since then, keeping an eye on the two of them, still waiting for an opportunity that would never come.

I was still watching them today when a girl from Demeter came and started talking to me with pancakes in her hand. She was saying something to me pausing at intervals and looking at me. I answered with 'Mhm' and 'Yeah, absolutely' until she looked at me with these hopeful, puppy eyes.

'Yeah, yeah, sure, absolutely,'

She screamed in ecstasy and hugged me before running off to a small group of Demeter girls and telling them something, then they all started screaming and hugging each other and eventually running off to the Demeter cabin. A moment later, cheers and screams were coming from the Demeter cabin. I was confused for a while and saw that the girl had left her pancakes beside me. I decided to return it, mostly to find out what I did or didn't do.

I knocked on the door of their cabin. Katie Gardner opened it.

'Hi, Percy!' she said.

'Hi, one of your sisters left their pancakes beside me,' I said.

Katie chuckled' Because they're for you, dummy!'

'What for?'

'For agreeing to help us in the Capture the Flag tomorrow, duh! Now we have higher odds of winning!'

'Oh' was all I could say while mentally kicking myself. I silently swore to never pay less attention to others in any scenario ever again. Apparently, Hermes Cabin had paired up with Nemesis, Nike, Hephaestus, and Tyche meanwhile we paired up with Dionysus, Aphrodite, Ares, Iris, Hecate, Athena, and Hades.

I had two big questions

'We have more teams than the other group?'

'Yeah,' Katie's face darkened 'Hermes' cabin made a bet with us and said that their new teammates would wipe the floor with us and that we could make as many alliances as we wanted, it wouldn't make a difference to them,'

Either they had something serious up their sleeve, or Hermes Cabin was being too cocky. Unfortunately, I suspected the former.

'We have Hades on our side?'

'Yeah! Nico felt like he should pair up with us, probably because he also wanted to see Hermes come down, like all of us,'

'Did you give  him food?'

'Yeah, Cupcakes, why?'

'That was probably his reason for joining.'

I took the pancakes with me to my cabin and looked around it. The cabin, not the pancakes. It had taken me some time, but I had finally arranged for my cabin to look good again. Poseidon's cabin is low, long, and solid, with all the windows facing the sea. The outer walls are rough gray stone with pieces of seashell and coral and look like the bottom of the ocean floor.