6. Proposal

I follow Lisa to my dressing room. She starts talking nervously again. I don't say anything. I don't want that. I don't want to marry that Duke.
After they are finished with my outfit I check myself in the mirror. I look so formal.

E: I don't know, Lisa.

QS: You look very pretty, my dear.

My mum enters the room and everyone expect me curtsy. I run into her arms. Mum never takes it the protocol not too serious and wants us to be her children.

E: Mum!

QS: I know, my dear, I know.

She rubs over my back. She feels with me. She always does. She got prepared for her role as a future queen her whole life. She knows what it has to take to be a part of the royal family.

QS: Please make your father proud.

E: I can't do this, mom. Please, help me.

QS: He made a decision. You need to respect this even tho it's hard.

She makes me a kiss on my forehead. She can't say no to my dad. She has to do what he wants. And there we go. Dad and Simon enter the room.

KG: You look pretty, my beloved daughter.

He looks at me before he turns to the door where Duke August enters the room after my dad called him in. I swallow seeing him. He goes straight to me and falls on his knee.

DA: Princess Elisabeth, would you marry me?

I didn't expect this to happen. I look surprised to Simone and than to my mum. She nods. I take a deep breath and put on a fake smile.

E: I really appreciate it, August.

He kisses the top of my hand and puts the ring on my finger. I look at it. It doesn't feel right. I can't hide another tear rolling down my cheek. I never felt this bad in my whole life. I never cried so many tears than today. Can someone get my out of this nightmare? I want to take that ring off and throw it away. But my dad starts celebrating.

KG: We're going to have a wonderful wedding. Congratulation!

Everyone congrats us and Simon comes over to give me a hug and whispers.

S: I'll try my best to get you out of here. I'll make it good again.

L: The media is ready.

S: Play along for now.

He gives me a serious look. Can I trust him this time? I nod and take a deep breath when August grabs my hand. We walk outside to the media. I try to give my best smile but my whole body shakes.

CHARLES POV

Charles went home and decided to leave the next day. They have the TV on, looking live at the engagement announcement.

Media: Why are we here?

DA: We're happy to announce our engagement.

Media: Did you ask her last night, Duke August?

DA: Yes, but unfortunately Princess Elisabeth didn't feel well, that's why she had to leave earlier.

Arthur turns the TV louder. He shakes his head. Charles told him and Carla everything.

A: What a fake show. You guys slept in one bed last night.

C: What should I do?

Media: Princess Elisabeth, we're happy you finally found the love of your life.

Charles notices how Elisabeth wanted to take her hand away but August pulls her closer.

E: Yeah, me too. I'm very lucky to have him.

Ca: Charles, you need to get her. She's obviously not happy!

C: She's getting married, Carla.

Ca: She likes you. You need to fight for her.

A: Agree. I've never seen you so happy than with Elisabeth today.

C: You're not helping.

His eyes are filled with tears seeing Elisabeth on the TV with another man.

BACK AT THE PALACE

I walk back with August already letting go off his hand as soon as we're inside. My dad comes to us clapping his hands.

KG: Wonderful.

DA: My future wife was perfect.

August neck bows before he puts an arm around me. I get a step away from him not wanting him to touch me as he tries to give a kiss on my cheek.

E: Goodnight.

I leave the room without waiting for an answer. I walk straight to my room. I let anyone know I want to be alone. Nobody is allowed to get into my room. The guards need to check that.
I let myself fall onto my bed and stare at the ceiling. My phone rings.

Charles:
I wish I could help you.

Elisabeth:
Don't give up on me.

I put the phone back on my night stand. I grab the pillow and put it over my face. I lay there crying for the hundert time today. Life sucks. I don't want this life. I want to be a normal girl. A girl who can choose on her own who she wants to marry.
Suddenly the door opens and Lisa stands in the door. I throw a pillow after her. She catches it but I know she can't complain about it.

L: Your highness, Duke August wants to see you.

E: I said I don't wanna see anyone. Leave me alone!