Cordolium

Today's review is for Cordolium by IIIaveryIII. It's the first fanfic I have read from the Shadow and Bone fandom and honestly, I am interested to check out the TV show because I have too many books to read and can't add another trilogy to the list. Anyway, let's get to the review, and if you're a fan of the Shadow and Bone Series, you will love this. 

***

1. Title of the story:

Cordolium.

So you mentioned that Cordolium means heartache and heartfelt sorrow. It's such a beautiful word and I love stories having titles that refer to the theme of the story without making it very obvious. 

2: Description of the story:

I am attaching both the description and the opening of your story below:

Nesta Marooz had many secrets. None which she was willing to share. But secrets have a way of worming their way out of staying secrets.

Kaz Brekker also had secrets and he was certain that no one would ever find out what they were. But he hadn't counted on the presence of a dark-haired Ravkan girl who would change his life.

For better or for worse? That he didn't know.

Now for the opening of the story:

The spot, her spot beside Kaz Brekker was empty. It felt strange. It hadn't been empty for a long time. It had been filled even before Jesper Fahey and Inej Ghafa were a part of their group. She had been by his side almost since the beginning. The Sharpshooter, The Wraith, Dirtyhands, and The Carnifex. It didn't feel right, they should be four, not three. It would never feel right again. The spot beside him would stay empty, nothing in the world could change that. And it was all the fault of the Bastard of the Barrel, he should have just listened to her and said no to the job.

I love both of them and these immediately hooked me onto the story. The description is simple, introducing the main characters and giving a bit of context/background on them. It also leaves us with a hook at the end. But the opening is what takes the cake. It plunges right into the story, leaves us with so many questions, and automatically lures us to turn to the next chapter and see what all this is about. So good job, author, you have succeeded in capturing the interest of your readers from the first impression.

3. Character Dynamics:

I always say this but the character dynamics section is my favorite to write for every review I do. With yours, there were so many intriguing characters and because I don't have any of the canon background on them, I was looking at them with the fresh unbiased perspective of a new reader.

Nesta - I love Nesta, need I say more? She's sassy, and confident, and has her fair share of secrets, but she is so intriguing that I can't help but feel drawn to her (so obviously I know exactly how Kaz must have felt *wink*). As I have said many times, a strong protagonist is what you need to keep the story moving and the readers hooked. Nesta is the kind of character that can easily command the attention of her audience, plus the face claim is so accurate for her, I would never have imagined anyone else. All in all, I would give 10/10 for Nesta's character. Absolutely love her and the way she has the little gang wrapped around her finger. Plus, her title as the Carnifex is really cool too.

Kaz - He is such a complex character and I understand that you must have had quite some trouble writing him. His past and what he had been through add layers to his character and impact his behavior like the aversion to physical contact and the indifference to human life (once he decides it's useless to show mercy). I love how you have slowly built up his dynamic with Nesta which of course we will discuss later in the Character Chemistry section. All in all, I love his portrayal and it makes me curious to see what he's like in the TV show. I will be watching clips to satisfy my curiosity.