Chapter 26: Femme Fatale

Začať od začiatku

Some of her citizens were unhappy about the Koopa King's fortress being present in their territory, and there were several other issues she needed to address. Juggling all of these tasks was a daunting challenge, and satisfying everyone was nearly impossible.

At that moment, Peach just wanted to alleviate the already overflowing workload. She took a deep breath and steadied herself. The Toadstool Princess took a step forward, "I am truly sorry, Daisy. I really am. I'm trying my best," she said.

Daisy pointed at her. "Don't ever lie to me again, Peach. I mean it," she hissed. "It's not the first time you've pulled this shit and I'm not going through this again."

"Daisy." Peach's voice had a warning undertone.

"No! I am bringing that up again because it's wrong and you know it!"

"It would destroy my kingdom."

"Their rulers, your parents, were murdered in cold blood. They deserve the truth!"

Suddenly, the temperature in the room increased. The gem on Peach's brooch emitted a reddish glow as her hair flared up. The princess gritted her teeth and ordered, "Watch yourself."

Tears welled at the corner of Daisy's eyes. "You can't turn off your grief forever, Peach. And you cannot expect me to keep quiet forever."

"My parents were already put to rest; Bowser is paying for his crimes."

"He sent his wife to assassinate them. The only way he could come close to paying for that would be with his life."

Peach clenched his fist. Daisy was right. Bowser's cruelty knew no bounds; however, Peach already matched that savagery once by leaving his kingdom to perish. At the trial, she could not bring herself to repeat the same decision; especially not in front of the first friends she had made since her parents' passing.

Even though, she oh so wanted to.

But she magically sealed those emotions and accepted Luigi's idea. It would help her allies and punish the Demon King in one go. Peach folded her hands on her front, "You cannot let revenge consume you," she said.

Daisy narrowed her eyes. "This has fuck all to do with revenge and you know this," she snapped.

Then she threw her hands up. Daisy gathered her skirts and stormed toward the exit. Peach's eyes widened and called after her, but the Crowned Princess was not having it. She grabbed the door handle, crushing it in her grasp. "I can't do this," she said. "Come talk to me when you're ready to leave your spellbound fantasy!"

With a sonorous crack! Daisy threw the door open and left. Peach watched from the broken doorway, her exterior pristine, but her heart shattered.

The sound of Peach's harp grew darker, and tears continued to flow. She tried to wipe her face, but the flood of emotions was uncontainable. The princess felt like a child again, seeking comfort from her parents' portrait. Though long gone, they were taken from her at the age of sixteen by the consort of a cruel king.

Peach wondered what would have happened if, in that moment where Bowser was captured and weak, she would have loosened the chains she put on herself and rid the world of such evil. But her shaky morality forbade her; her parents' spirits forbade it. So, she lied again.

And when the Koopa King finishes his labors, he is to go back to the Darklands and stay there. His kingdom would be given supplies, but they were to never step out of their ash-covered land.