Chapter 9

Upon Suzainne's return home, she was met with a deafening silence as her parents were abroad, and her grandma, was bedridden due to old age, thus, she couldn't travel. She and her grandma were left in their house.

     Without hesitation, she sprinted through the familiar halls of their mansion. Upon reaching the front door of her grandmother's room, she slowly opened it. The old Eistred lay on her bed, looking frail and feeble. Suzainne immediately ran to her, embracing her in a warm and tight hug, waking her grandmother up.

     "Grandma, you have been through a lot. And I hope you're okay now, and that your family, fill the void that your first love left in your heart," Suzainne said.

     While they were hugging, Eistred smiled, knowing that her grandchild must have read the letters she and Sefatias had been exchanging before.

     "Suzainne, I'm fine now, for I have you, your mother, and your grandpa to make me smile and keep fighting every day. But I cannot deny that the past I have with Sefatias does not haunt me until now. And you might think that I have a callous heart because of loving Sefatias even though I already have your grandpa..."

     Before Eistred could finish what she has to say, Suzainne cut her off. "Grandma, I won't think that way, and that thought never came to my mind. Grandma, I understand everything; I have read all of the letters between you and Sefatias. However, I'm curious about one thing, grandma. Who is Sefatias, and when was the time he was born?"

     "Suzainne, Sefatias is a well-known painter in the 18th century in the land of Britain. He was the son of Jean Paul Marte and Simone Eevrard. His father, Jean Paul, was a well-known journalist in the French Revolution era. And his father wanted him to pursue writing; however, he chose painting instead, for his passion lies in it. He kept and stored all of his paintings in the attic of their house, which is now the museum attic. Now, did I answer all of your questions?" Eistred said.

     "Grandma, there is still one thing you didn't answer. What was the cause of his death?" Suzaine responded.

     "Ah... about that, Sefatias was killed because someone sneaked into their house to assassinate his father, because of the articles he wrote, and he was the one who witnessed all of it. The killer saw him and chased him towards the attic, and killed him there. That's why his ghost was trapped there.

     Suzainne and Eistred conversed until the night dawned on them. The echoes of laughter and shared stories filled the space, creating a moment of connection that transcended time.

     Before Suzainne left, Eistred asked her a favor. "Grandchild, I have something that I wish to do, but right now, I cannot do that. So, can you do me a request? Will you organize a gallery event showcasing all of Sefatias paintings?"

     "I will do that, grandma. You can sleep now," Suzainne answered without knowing that was the last conversation she would have with her grandmother.

     After that day, Suzainne enter the room of her grandma with a tray where her breakfast is. AS she was waking up her grandma to feed her. Her grandmother didn't even budge, she tried every means of waking her grandma up however, she still couldn't open her eyes.

     So, she resorted in calling for a doctor. A male doctor arrived at the foot of their house and Suzainne guide her to where her grandma is. He tried to revive Ethe grandmother, but it was too late; Eistred already decided to rest.

     For the last time, Suzainne hugged her grandmother and whispered in her ear. "Grandma, the event you wished for will happen the day after tomorrow. I thought that you would be there, but you are already gone. I hope that you would watch it from above. Goodbye now, grandma. I hope you'd be very happy there." Suzainne left with tears accumulating in her eyes. She gets to her room and immediately call her parents from abroad to inform about what happen to her grandma.