Chapter 2: The Call That Changed Everything

Evelyn's POV

Beeeeep-beeeeep-beeeeep-beeeeep!

As the comforting arms of sleep were about to embrace me, the shrill ring of my phone mercilessly jerked me back to wakefulness. "Not now," I groaned internally, my face buried in the softness of the pillow. The thought of someone calling at such a late hour, clearly unconcerned about the sanctity of sleep, annoyed me. I was tempted to just ignore it.

"Love, answer the phone. It could be something urgent," Ian's voice cut through my haze of sleepiness. He sat there, absorbed in his book, not quite understanding the battle I was facing against the lure of sleep.

With a heavy, resigned sigh, I reached out, my hand groping around for the phone. Bringing it to my ear, my voice laden with sleep, I answered, "Hello?"

"Evelyn, it's Amaya. I'm really sorry for calling so late, but it's urgent." Amaya's voice, normally so calm and controlled, shook with an urgency that instantly dispelled my annoyance. I sat up straight, a wave of concern washing over me. Amaya, deeply committed to her work as a volunteer doctor in the red state, rarely called. This must be serious.

"I've just sent a young girl to the cgl state, and she's on her way to the hospital in your town. I know it's a lot to ask, especially with her arriving at about 7 am, but could you please check on her? Make sure she's alright?" Her voice, laden with an anxiety that was so unlike her, echoed in my ears.

"Amaya, what's happening? You need to give me more details," I urged, feeling Ian's presence close by, his face a canvas of concern.

"I wish I could tell you more... but I found her in a terrible state during an examination. I had to send her to safety under child-protective services because of institutional negligence and suspected abuse by her parents. I've also initiated legal action against her doctor. That's all I can disclose right now," Amaya explained, her voice cracking slightly.

A gasp escaped me, my hand instinctively covering my mouth. Although such cases were not unheard of, even with the authorities' increased vigilance in the red state, they still occurred, often slipping unnoticed under the public radar.

"Oh, that poor child," I whispered, feeling a wave of empathy crash over me. Ian's hand found its way to my back, offering a silent source of comfort as I absorbed the shocking news.

Amaya continued, her voice a soft echo of sadness. "Evelyn, I know you and Ian have been wanting to adopt for some time. It's not certain, but she might be a little, and she might need a home, a family... I think you'd be perfect for her. There's no pressure to decide now, but please think about it. I've already mentioned you to the social worker."

The idea of adopting hadn't even crossed my mind amidst the night's turmoil. Ian and I had been on the adoption list for so long, visiting the center every six months without finding the right match. Could this be the moment fate had chosen for us to finally welcome a little one into our home?

"Thank you, Amaya. We'll talk it over, but regardless, we'll be there for her," I said, my voice finding strength.