Chapter Two

There was an awkward exchange of hellos between the two of them which was to be expected. She noticed how his voice had gotten a lot deeper since the two of them had last spoke.

They stood in silence not sure which of them would speak first, and unsure on what they should say.

Gray scratched the back of his head awkwardly as he motioned towards the door of the restaurant. Juvia smiled, remembering to herself that he had kept this awkward trait of his.

Juvia smiled at him in agreement and took the lead, allowing him to hold the door open for her. They were directed to their table by their waitress and Juvia noticed how beautiful the room was. The floor and walls were beautifully made from mahogany and the tables were all decorated with white linen and candles. Juvia had to stifle a gasp as she walked into the room. She had never been able to afford a meal at a place like this.

As they arrived at their table Gray pulled her chair out for her, showing to her that he was trying to be a gentleman. Juvia couldn't help but notice that he raked his eyes down over her body as he did this. Making her feel very self-conscious.

Gray watched her sit and allowed himself to take in her appearance. She was beautiful. Gray had always had a bit of a crush on Juvia, they were best friends in high school. She followed him everywhere, gave him her own nickname. He was never sure if she ever liked him back though. If she wasn't with him, she spent all of her time with her other friend, Gajeel. He was convinced she liked him until he found out otherwise, by that time he was already in a relationship with Lucy.

He took a seat opposite her, they locked eyes awkwardly, noticing the big smile on her face and blush on her cheeks. Her long blue hair framing her pale face. He smiled back at her.

They started with small talk, catching up on old times, talking about memories, making fun of each other. It was almost like they were back to who they used to be, comfortable with one another. The wine continued to flow; they'd gotten through nearly a whole bottle of prosecco before the food had even arrived.

'I can't believe you thought I had a thing for Gajeel!' Juvia laughed, her cheeks rosy with alcohol and flirtation.

'How was I supposed to know! You used to hang out with him all the time!' Gray laughed back to her, the conversation flowing easily.

'Yeah, and his girlfriend! Levy! It was so obvious I liked you the entire time! Even the teachers used to tease me about it!' Juvia continued to laugh, sipping at her prosecco between mouthfuls.

'I didn't even know he had a girlfriend! I've always been a bit dense to be fair.' He rubbed the back of his head in embarrassment. The more he thought about it the more foolish he felt.

'They've just had twins actually; I was maid of honour at their wedding.' She smiled softly at him, finishing her meal, and sipping the last of her prosecco.

'That's crazy, the fact that were all adults now.' He smiled at her, reaching his hand absently across the table, brushing her fingers.

Juvia blushed, intertwining the tips of her fingers with his own, her heart felt like it would burst out of her chest.

'Yeah, crazy. Thank you for inviting me out tonight, it's been really nice seeing you again.' There was an increasing anxiousness in her chest. Would he want to see her again?

'It's been great, did you... did you want to go for a drink after this? I'm not ready to say goodnight just yet. He scratched the back of his head again, averting his gaze from her own.

'I would love that!' Another beaming smile from the bluenette in front of him. He motioned for the waiter to pay the bill before they set off into the night.