Tentacles and Torture - Chapter 1

Start from the beginning

He didn't despise druids truly, just felt they were a bit too focused on dirt and trees to ever see the stars, a characteristic that he never once felt to be relatable.

As he followed the direction of his spell, the trees had started to grow even thicker still. Visibility was getting harder- it was as if the forest was intentionally filling every hole in the canopy to block out all traces of light. His spell illuminated the immediate area around him so he could see just fine, but not even a talented wizard enjoys the choking darkness of an ancient forest.

"Goodness, it sure is dark. I haven't any idea why I haven't seen this cursed flower yet. I'm getting rather-"

He stopped mid sentence and fixed his eyes on a single point in the distance beyond the range of his spell's light. He visually aligned his eyes and the spell's pointer with a glowing red point as if staring down the sights if a crossbow: the spell was pointing directly at the flower.

Rowan picked up the pace, now heading towards the flower at a light run rather than a carefree walk. Within a minute, he found his prize. A plant that matched the drawing he copied from the book, a glowing scarlet flower that grew in darkness: the Cardia Manavore.

"At last." He said with a smile. He hadn't been away from his home for more than a few hours, but he still felt uneasy leaving his cauldron to boil while he was away. Still, the potion required constant heat with or without his presence. Time was of the essence.

He bent low to the flower and picked it from the ground with a light snap. From his pocket he produced a small square of cloth that he wrapped the flower inside of and stowed it away.

"Just one?" He complained. "All this way for a single flower."

He looked at his spell. It was pointing a different direction now. In the distance, he could see a single red point, a glowing light in the darkness.

"Nevermind!" He said chuckling. "I guess there will be extras after all!"

The spell only worked up to about a half mile away, so the fact that he found another one at all was great news.

He took off towards the flower at a run. Sometimes he wasn't lucky enough to find more than one of a rare ingredient, but he had lucked out. As he approached the flower, his smile quickly faded. What he saw before him wasn't the flower he was looking for. In fact, it barely resembled a plant, more like an animal.

The thing before him was a large glowing red pod connected to the ground by a single large, long stem as well as dozens of smaller offshoots of stems. Around it, he noticed several glossy tendrils resting in various places on the ground, on a rock, in a tree, and in a small stream that led further into darkness. The pod and it's tendrils were glowing red and appeared to pulsate. It looked fleshy.

This is no flower, he thought. I think it's time to go.

He stepped away from the flower, being exceedingly careful to step quietly. Unfortunately, only seconds after he had decided to leave, the pod flared a bright red. The tendrils around him started moving and snaking towards the pod, lifting themselves up and around it like arms. The pod itself stretched up as if it had just awoken...

"Oh dear..." Rowan said with a slight squeak. He was a wizard, to be sure, but still only an apprentice- and combat was not something he had ever been any good at.

He made up his mind in less than a second. He turned to run, all grace and subtlety leaving his body as he stepped away from the pod. Suddenly, several of the tendrils lashed out and bound his arms and legs.

"No!" He cried, being completely ensnared in seconds. "No no no!"

The tendrils coiled around his limbs, thoroughly securing him in its grasp. Rowan struggled against his bonds, but that only seemed to make them grow tighter.