Chapter 6

"Dad!! I'm home!!"
I scream looking around for my dad when I got home. Suprisingly he isn't anywhere around. He usually sits here,in the corridor on his antiquated swivel chair, reading a newspaper, as always.
Strange...I glance at my wrist watch:4:29pm.
Walking into our three-roomed apartment, I call out:"Dad..." My voice echoes ... Papa...Strange.
I get to his Master's bedroom and I find him walking out straight towards me.
"Holy crap?!!
" What.... "He widens his eyes,holding my shoulders, as his voice trails off.
" Nothing really, you scared the hell outta me"
" Oh.. sorry.. didn't mean to... Umm.. how was school today"He says quickly, avoiding my eyes.
I stare at him " Twas okay, I made a new friend.. he's.. " I trail off remembering I can't tell my Nigerian Dad that I met a cute nerd in class today. He'll literally fry me.
" Um.. didn't you hear me calling "
" Oh.. I didn't, by the way, your mum just called, she's back from New York.. You're gonna visit her in her new apartment so you guys can bond"
" Jeez.. like I'll go there alone?
"Yeah, got a problem with that?
I stare at him with cute eyes.
" Nope... That won't work on me, l'l be busy on Thursday"
" Ohh , come on" What annoyed me was that my dad was immune to those cut eyes. Jeez it literally works on everyone.
Speaking of everyone, I remember I haven't called my best friend since I arrived in New Haven.
" Oh shit!! Alright Dad, l'l talk to you later," I say rushing to my room.
I rummage through my bag, dials her number I realize am outta airtime.
I grab my laptop and facetime her. The call connects after 2 minutes of incessant ringing. Her face comes to view.I grin guiltly. "Xup... Tiwa.." I say smiling like nothing happened. She gives the look that says:"you're doomed".
"Oh, Tiwa, I'm so sorry, I'd been really busy, and life here is really hectic"I say looking apologetic."At least a call that you've arrived in New Haven would suffice,you know very well that I can't reach you".I giving her the cute look.
" Don't you dare act cute with me, not gonna fall for that ".
" Oh.. come on " I said tapping my forehead.
" By the way.. ,you met any cute guy yet.." Tiwa says, smiling mischievously.
" Ah jeez, Tiwa, am not here for the guys.. "I say smiling, thinking of Alex.
" Oh.. tell me about it, come ohh,I know that smile when I see it"She says trying to coax me into talking.
" Alright.. touche.., yeah. I met a guy , like a really cute nerd in class today.." I say recounting the happenings of the day to her.She squeals in excitement. Yeah.. that's my Naija Bestie.. this kinda stuff really tends to invigorates her.
"So tell me.. does he seem capable"She says giving me the flirty look.
"Wtf!.. ewww.. how am I supposed to know "
" Alright... Saint Elena, so how are the white students treating you? "
" Well.. okay.. it's been particularly hellish"
" Hellish?!! "Tiwa and another deep voice behind me says at a time. I turn back,it turned out to be my Dad... Omg.. I wonder how long he's been standing there.Did he seriously listen to our whole conversation? I turn back to meet Tiwa face, mouth agape.
"Kk..way to go , Tiwa, talk to you later" I say ending the call. I turn to meet my Dad's face, giving me the disappointed look.
"Hellish, you say.. why didn't you tell me.." He says sitting on my bed, beside me.
"Dad, I was just kidding" I said relieved that he didn't hear the other things I and Tiwa talked about.
"Kidding aiii.., alright, suit yourself" He says smiling and glancing at his wristwatch.
"It's 6:30 now,make sure to get to bed early" He says ruffling my hair,gets up and heads to the door. I sigh inwardingly in relief.
" And don't forget to consider your Daily Text" He adds, leaving the room.
I slump on my bed in exhaustion.. Damn.. what a hectic day
I groan at the thought of walking through the school walkway tomorrow. Those kids are literally going kill me....

I consider the Daily Text on my Jw library app. I doze off seconds after uttering a brief prayer....

.. Ebiere... "I hear a familiar voice calling my dialectical name in my sleep, I am jolted awake and my pulse races and I try to absorb the shock.The sun filters it's way through my curtains ominously.My eyes widen as I glance at my Cat-faced alarm clock--7:4
"Holy shit.." I quickly get off my bed "Damn how could I have slept so long" I tap my head in frustration. My Dad peeks at me,through the door that was slightly ajar.
"Good morning, Dad" I say grin guiltly.
"Just waking up huh? Freshen up, brush your teeth and come have breakfast" He says rolling his eyes, as he leaves for the kitchen.
I rush in the bathroom, took a quick shower and ran down stairs.
"So Dad, what's cooking?"I say pulling my Lilac top over my head.
"Oh.. your favorite -Jollof Rice and fried plantains"
He says smiling at me.
.. well, that's weird.. he made my favorite.. there must be something fishy going on around here.
I decide to play along:"Oh , jollof Rice! A perfect meal to start the day!"
Breakfast is soon set and gaily arranged on the dinning table. We sit and dig into the meal.I stare at my Dad suspiciously. Soon he stops and stares back realizing I could see through his facade.
"If you want me to visit mum all alone for all this, then that's it" I bang my spoon on the dinning table and walk to the kitchen to pack my Lunch meal....before I forget again. I stuff it into the side of my bag. I slung my bag on my shoulder while gulping down a glass of water hurriedly.
"Ok, Dad, am off" I say waving my Dad as I walk out of our three-roomed apartment.