It Should Be

"Miles?" You look up at the man playing with your hair, enjoying the way his face looked from that angle. It felt weird to think that about him. Think about the way his face looked.

You were too lost in thought. He responded about 6 times before you came back to your senses. "If I have to say 'hm' one more time, I'm throwing you off of me," he huffed in humor

"Sorry," you replied.

"Well? Did you have something to say?"

"...I forgot."

Miles sighed, playfully throwing you off of him. You laugh, laying down by where he was sitting.

"Hey! You didn't have to say 'hm' again," you whined

"But I didn't get the information that I needed to hear from you. That's basically like saying 'hm' over and over again." He chuckled, getting up and walking to the door.

"Where are you headed?"

"Wedding prep stuff. It's nothing, really. Why? Do you wanna come with me?" He grabbed his coat from the rack next to the door, offering you your own.

"Sure," you grin, taking the coat and putting it on.

You found yourself at the mall with Miles, shivering from the temperature. You had been out far longer than either of you anticipated, and so far you only had one bag of matching crystal wine glasses for the both of you.

"Miles, we've been out here for hours, and we haven't even gotten anything for the wedding, can we please go back to the room?" You whined, pulling on his sleeve like a child.

Miles just looked down at you, his face softening upon seeing your eyes and skin affected by the cold. "Just a bit longer, I promise you... I just need to find the right centerpieces and-"

"Miles," a familiar voice called, "I'm glad I caught you before you spent too much!" Larry ran up, huffing and out of breath. "Gumshoe wanted me to find you and tell you that the wedding's on a hold."

"On a hold..?" Miles looked down at you, as if you could give some clarity to the situation. You just shrugged in response.

"Yeah, like a break! Phoenix and his girl are arguing bad. Chelsea said something about you two causing issues in the relationship, so they're debating either uninviting you, or breaking up all together!" The look on Larry's face showed he was dead serious. You looked over at Miles again, but this time, he stayed looking at the man in front of the both of you.

"Us two..?" You looked over at Larry, begging for some kind of hint of him joking, but nothing. He still looked serious. Even more serious than anytime he's ever said anything serious. This made you panic.

"I need to talk to Phoenix." You stammer, rushing off. You started running off, leaving the two behind. You heard them calling out behind you, but you didn't stop.

That is, until Miles grabbed your arm.

"The car's faster. Think before you run off places"

You bang on Phoenix's door, Miles calmly standing behind you. He barely opens it, the door chain keeping the door just barely cracked.

You couldn't tell much through the small opening, but knowing your cousin you could tell a lot just from the tiny sliver of information.

1. his eyes were red.
Most likely not weed, he doesn't smoke. He was clearly crying at most an hour before you got there.

2. He had changed clothes.
It wasn't anything formal. It was a tank top and sweats, so he clearly wasn't feeling good.

3. He wasn't happy to see you.
The furrowed brow and crossed arms definitely didn't scream "happy to see my favorite cousin"

"What?" He broke the silence. You had been staring for a little too long. Miles squeezed your hand. you didn't even know you were holding his.

"Phoenix, why are you telling people we're the reason you and Chelsea are fighting?"

"Maybe cause you are the reason? You expect to unearth stuff that'd break people up and get surprised when it breaks people up?"

"Phoenix I never said that I didn't think it would break you two up, I thought you had enough sense to not spread it around everyone going to see you get married!"

"I didn't tell anyone but Maya!"

You both go back and forth, arguing loud enough to definitely get some ears to walls. Miles lets it run its course, that is until..

"If you weren't here we would still be happy!"

"But would you?" Miles starts, "would you truly be happy? This is information you definitely knew. Are you mad we pointed out something that was bound to be pointed out in the near future?"

"Miles, I know! I know, okay? I just wished I was wrong! I really wanted to be wrong... I just... I couldn't bear hearing the truth.." Phoenix finally snapped, shrinking in onto himself.

You reach out pulling him into a tight hug.

"I just wanted her to marry me because she loved me..."

"I know, Phoenix," you squeeze him tight, "that's the way it should be."