21 ~ Lion hunters

Start from the beginning

We rode into the green of the forest, our wits about us, perspiration shining atop our foreheads.

My eyes scanned every nook and cranny we passed, out of caution, and searching for any clues or hints of aslans presence. Nothing.

Our search began to dim, the gleams of hope and belief in our eyes blown out by the sharp wind that whistled though the thorns and branches.

"Do you..." Lucy started, "think we'll find Aslan, Amy?"

I inhaled, I was trying to force myself into believing that we would, every aspect of our plan to save Narnia depended on it "Yeah, I do." I rubbed my palm on her arm, comforting her. We both knew the stakes of this gamble, we were risking the lives of so many.

Our eyes grew less aware as each uneventful minute passed. I guess that's probably why we were slow to spot the group of Telmarine soldiers riding towards us with full force.

Before I could draw my bow and before lucy could pull the reigns I was falling, watching the manic events unfold in slow motion as I plummeted into the leaf litter.

Two soldiers circled lucy, who remained on horseback, dagger drawn, they stretched out sharp silver swords, serrated at the end, the very design of these weapons was not just do defend but to cause extreme harm.

My head hit the ground. Suddenly there was double, and a scream that echoed shaking my vision and the woodland. Lucy, I had to help her. Getting up was no use, I could barely see. I desperately pulsed my fingers, weaving them into the soil below me, my brain aching. Luckily I found what I was searching for, a tree root. I grasped it firmly, ignoring the dirt that prodded up into my nails and the pounding of my head. I only had one thing in my mind 'help lucy'.

I felt my energy leaving me, flowing out of my chest, down my arm out my fingertips and away, a gift to nature, an awakening. Then my vision disappeared completely.

----

Abruptly I awoke and was running, dashing between trees brushing against branches and leaping over protruding roots. Something was behind me, something big. I did not want to hang around to find out what. As I gasped for air the events unfolded in my mind and I remembered the danger lucy had been in. I didn't stop running. I could only hope that my attempt to help lucy was successful and that she had managed to get away before this thing behind me had found the scene.

"LUCY?!" I screamed hysterically, against the breeze that only blew my shout away. It was futile.

Every twist I took, every turn I made, the large figure followed me, its feet made the ground rumble as it ran after me, its steps heavy and rapid. It chased me, like a lion chases it's prey.

I knew I could not keep up with this pace much longer and would have to fight this being behind me at some point. My hand flew to my bow. I ran up a small rise in the terrain, giving me a vantage point. I stopped and turned around. Streaks of sun blasted into my pupils, causing me to squint at the figure emerging from a grove of smaller shady trees.

"Show yourself!" I demanded, my fingers trembling as they clutched an arrow, sat tense on the string of my bow.

"Amy." It spoke.

I was taken aback, my stern and petrified expression contorted. I stumbled back in awe.

The sun seemed insignificant compared to the gold of his mane and the wind bowed in his presence, swirling around him, lifting his mane, and framing his features with golden leaves that danced at the sight of him.

Aslan.

I breathed a beautiful sigh of relief.

"my child," the lion said as he glanced over his shoulder "you can come out now"

Leaves rustled as a beaming lucy emerged from the foliage. I could not contain my joy and rad toward her arms open wide. Another wave of relief hit me as I hugged her, she had not been harmed. I stroked her hair, which had been warmed by the apricity bursting through the gaps in the leaves above.

"I'm so glad you're okay" I whispered into Lucy's ear, I felt her smile into my shoulder.

"you saved her" Aslan spoke with a subtle nod, I broke from Lucy's embrace. "you have learnt to use your gifts well" he continued "your friends have a lot to thank you for, Edmund especially." Aslan looked at me knowingly. "but Amy, you must remember that there is a price to pay for a power like yours..." he repositioned his front leg, exposing his upper left limb from beneath his mane.

My stomach sank, I could see a light pink wound, healed over but still prominent. I thought back to the raid, how I healed Edmund and heard Aslan speak to me. Aslan took away my suffering once, this was his way of letting me know I had to be willing to pay the price next time. I looked into Aslan's earthy eyes and nodded firmly. "I understand." I spoke, swallowing surely.

"now we have a lot to achieve and very limited time, why don't we discuss the plan on the way?" Aslan suggested.

Lucy and I agreed and when Aslan lowered to the ground we climbed upon his back, clinging onto his mane and to each other.

His speed made the world seem empty and still. Me and lucy ran him over what was happening at the mound (if all went according to plan) and what we were to do when we arrived.

"... so by the time we get back Peter and Miraz should still be duelling, that means we can sneak in while all attention is concentrated on them and attack the Telmarine troops before they even know what is happening." I finished.

"and what if something has changed, a part of your plan has not quite played out the way you expected." Aslan didn't question, more stated. I wondered if somehow behind those large golden eyes he knew, knew exactly how everything would turn out...

Lucy interrupted my spiralling "I guess we will have to assess the situation when we arrive"

-----