7 ~ A Distraction

The group continued in silence, such silence in fact that a thud from behind us caused us to jump. I peeped at Edmund and could tell what he was thinking. Did that tree just collapse?

We hurriedly made our way to the source of the deafening thud. As we jogged through the familiar woodland my stomach felt tense and uneasy, I moved as the group did with baited breath. Rather swiftly we reached the spot of the thudding.

The tree had fallen over...

"It was Aslan!!" Lucy screamed with joy. "He provided us with a way! See! I knew it, I knew it was him that me and Amy saw!"

Edmund was staring at me, confused yet a small glimmer of excitement shone in his eyes.

"I don't suppose an apology would quite suffice" Peter said to Lucy.

"No..." Lucy said overly upset "but this might!" She laughed playfully punching Peter multiple times.

As their fight commenced I locked eyes with Edmund and the look plastered across his face matched mine. I had just suggested that the tree would make a good bridge and here it was, fallen over perfectly across the gorge. But I couldn't have possibly done anything.

Edmund began to speak "Amy was just saying that this very tree would make a great bridge"

I laughed nervously. I felt uneasy and I was not sure why, after all this was just a strange coincidence. Right?

As the siblings were discussing the uncanny coincidence, Trumpkin caught my eye, He was staring at me as if he knew something. I was not fond of the look in his eyes and the dreadful look strewn about him. 

"alright everyone hold hands as we cross, it will be safer that way" Susan announced.

I held hands with the nearest two people as we crossed, Trumpkin (who I now felt slightly uneasy about) and Edmund who's grip felt extremely tight, i peered at his expression and it was that of panic as we walked suspended many metres up in the air. Was he afraid of falling?

"Watch out Amy, that moss is slippery" He said very quietly and sweetly so that only I heard. 

"oh, thankyou" I replied. Wait, was he worried that I would fall?

We made it across the makeshift bridge and the strangest phenomenon occurred as trumpkin, who was at the back of the parade stepped off from the tree. The mighty tree began to lift itself from its position as a bridge, raising its branches to their original height swaying pleasantly in the wind, many leaves scattered down from the branches due to the commotion, they seemed to dance on their way down as the shining sun reflected through them.

Lucy began to giggle with a joyful expression. "its dancing! the tree is dancing"

We all watched in awe as the single tree moved gracefully about.

"it was magic" Peter said.

"it must have been Aslan" Susan Exclaimed.

Trumpkin was staring at me, the way one stares at a difficult puzzle or a text they cannot read. "I wouldn't be so sure about that" He said, not breaking his stare.

"oh, D.L.F surely you have to believe in Aslan now! you just witnessed magic!" Lucy replied still gazing hopefully at the tree.

I spotted Edmund look at me from the corner of my eye. I felt extremely uncomfortable with the way trumpkin was looking at me, I wasn't quite sure what I had done that seemed to offend him so harshly. 

"were burning daylight," Edmund said and I was thankful for his remark "lets keep moving"

His words of wisdom swiftly worked as the group and even trumpkin moved along. Me and Edmund once again a pair at the back of the group.