Forty Nine

"Where are you going?" Patrick asked as he watched Brendon get dressed.

Brendon rolled his eyes. He was still pissed that Patrick was leaving. He was moving back to his hometown near his parents. Which was a fucking stupid and over dramatic idea.

Patrick was just running from his problems. And Brendon wasn't used to his best friend doing that. But he guessed the alcohol stopped having that numbing affect for him. So he wanted to leave the place where things went wrong. Still stupid.

"I'm going out."

"You aren't taking me to the airport?"

"No. I don't support the decision. I'm going out with Ryan for breakfast."

"B-But you said you'd be here for me." Patrick pouted.

"Bitch, I was here for you. And you're still leaving me. I have not left the house or brought anyone to the house." He messed with the front of his hair. "Mama needs some dick."

"From Ryan?"

He shrugged. "Maybe."

"I thought you didn't even like Ryan."

"He's not as bad as I thought." He glanced behind him at Patrick. "Pete isn't a bad guy either."

"Nope." Patrick turned to walk into the other room. "Not today. We are not talking about this."

"Don't be so stubborn." Brendon followed him. "You two need to talk."

"I think he said everything he needed to say."

"He was just angry. You'd be mad too if your boyfriend was making out with his ex-"

"I was not making out with my ex. I told you, Andy kissed me."

"And you also told me you didn't pull away immediately. You kissed him back, girl."

"Whose side are you even on here?"

"Yours. But you made a mistake. And he made a mistake. So you're even."

"I never want to see him again. Do you not remember what he said to me? The words are stuck in my head like a song."

"Words are knives and often leave scars, Pat. But actions mean more. And Pete's actions clearly showed that he loved you."

"Yeah right."

"It might have even been love at first site. The night he met you, he wanted you to move into his house. He took you shopping-"

"Brendon just shut up!" Patrick snapped. "You don't understand."

"Fine." Brendon held his hands up in surrender. "I didn't want to have to do this. But you leave me no choice." He walked out of the room.

"What are you doing?"

"Something special was in my mailbox yesterday." He walked back into the room. One hand hidden behind his back.

"I don't care-"

He held the magazine up in front of Patrick's face. "Look!"

It was Out magazine. His eyes went straight for Pete's face. He hasn't seen that face in a while now. It was more perfect that his brain allowed him to remember.

Pete was laughing down at Patrick. His eyes bright with amusement. Patrick was smiling up at Pete like an idiot. They looked so happy. Right before their first kiss.

Patrick remembered that moment. He was a little on the tipsy side. And he'd made some stupid joke. But Pete laughed at it anyway.

He took the magazine and flipped through the pages quickly. Seeing more and more picture of them. Seeing the interview they did.