Chapter 6

Since Brandon hadn't given Tara any information on how to contact him, she had no way of telling him she wasn't going to meet him. Feigning the need for a nap, she went to her room and paced. It was overwhelmingly tempting to go and see what he wanted, but she knew it wasn't the smartest thing to do. If he'd asked to meet her in the restaurant or even for a walk around town she might consider it, but not in the middle of nowhere.

The clicking of the clock on the recently refinished oak mantle echoed through the room as she continued to pace. She wanted to open the French doors leading to the small balcony attached to her bedroom, but Maggie was in the lawn below, enjoying the afternoon sun and might realize she wasn't napping. She wasn't up to explaining her actions, nor could she explain them. It was as if an unknown and unseen force compelled her to go meet with this stranger and it took all of her will to ignore it.

The clock chimed three o'clock.

She wondered how long he'd wait before he realized she wasn't coming. It was an easy fifteen-minute ride on horseback to the spot where they'd met. Adding the time, it took to tack up, it would take at least twenty-five minutes to get there. Even if she changed her mind and left now she doubted he'd still be there when she finally reached the spot. No one would wait twenty-five minutes, would they?

The nagging curiosity finally got the better of her. Tara made a feeble excuse about needing something at the store and Sugar needing the exercise and so it was a good idea to ride there to Maggie, who wondered if Tara really thought she bought the story. Thinking her foolish but not sensing any real danger from Brandon, Maggie shrugged her shoulders and returned to the book she enjoyed in the shade of an ancient gnarled apple tree.

Tara decided to forgo the saddle. Riding bareback wasn't something she was skilled at, but she could manage. She put the bit in Sugar's mouth and the mare tossed her head in anticipation and pawed the earth.

"Take it easy girl. You know I'm not good at this. Cooperate please!" Tara said as she climbed up onto the mounting stool.

As if she understood, the mare stood perfectly still.

While horse and rider headed in the direction of the designated meeting place, Sugar sensed Tara's growing urgency and broke into an easy lope down the well-trodden path through the woods. Tara's muscles synchronized with her mare. It was as if they were one. The fear she wouldn't be able to stay on without a saddle was replaced by exhilarated confidence. They were a team. They fit right. They felt right.

They reached the edge of the clearing with no sign of Brandon. Even though she hadn't expected him to wait for her, she was disappointed. Her disappointment changed to panic when she spotted his enormous black gelding bending over his limp body on the other side of the open field. She kicked Sugar into motion and flew to the ground before the mare completely stopped next to where he lay.

Brandon's face was buried in the tall grass. His breathing was labored, but steady. Pushing the enormous gelding out of her way, Tara rolled him onto his back and straightened his legs out. The wound on his head had started to clot. Although a fair amount of blood was all around his head, there was only a small amount of blood oozing from a fierce gash. She pulled the scarf off her neck and pressed it against his wound, wondering how long he'd been lying there. It must have been some time for the bleeding to slow down like it had.

The pressure of her hand made him wince even in his dazed state. She checked for more injuries and found a few cuts and bruises on his arms and back but was relieved there was sign of broken bones. The biggest worry was his head injury.

The gelding pranced nervously. She needed to quiet the it down, so she could somehow get Brandon on his back and find medical help. She held her breath and willed her heart to stop trying to clamber up her throat as she approached the intimidating beast.