𝐄VOLUTION OF THE DALEKS | 2

P A R T T W O

────── ⋅ ⋅ ── *ੈ✩‧₊˚── ⋅ ⋅ ──────

After the Doctor left with the Daleks, Martha and Logan ended up in Solomon's tent. Logan was sat on a bench as Martha wrapped bandages on an injured man's wrist.

Logan looked up when Tallulah walked in with a pan of hot water. "Here you go. I got some more on the boil." She said to Martha, setting it down on a nearby table.

"Thanks." Martha appreciatively uttered, before sending the man on his way.

Once the man left the tent, Tallulah looked between Martha and Logan with a small frown. "So what about us? What do we do now?"

"Well, the Doctor gave me this, so." Logan held up the psychic paper to show the women, vaguely feeling like one of those FBI agents from the shows, flashing their badges at every chance.

"He must have had a reason."

Tallulah looked at the paper with confusion, taking it from Logan when he held it out for her to look at it closer. "What's that for?"

"It gets you into places. Buildings and things." Logan explained, running a hand through his curls. "It's usually more useful when we actually know where we're meant to use it. But y'know, Beggars can't be choosers." He sighed.

"He must want us to go somewhere but, what are we supposed to do?" Martha questioned, taking it from Tallulah and looking down at it in slight frustration, only for her eyes to widen slightly. "Wait a minute. Down in the sewers, the Daleks mentioned this energy conductor."

"What does that mean?" Tallulah asked.

"I don't know." Martha frowned. "Maybe like a lightening conductor or... Dalekanium! They said the Dalekanium was in place." She eagerly told them.

"In place where?"

"Frank might know." Martha then grabbed Logan's arm and pulled him along with her out of the tent, followed closely by Tallulah.

They found Frank outside, sat on a crate with his head down. Logan noticed that the young man was crying and as they approached, he hesitantly called, "Frank?"

"Hm?" Frank hummed, wiping his tears as they reached him, keeping his head down.

"That Mister Diagoras, he was like some sort of fixer, yeah? Get you jobs all over town?" Martha questioned, stopping in front of the young man, who nodded.

"Yeah. He could find a profit anywhere."

"But where, though? What sort of things?" Martha asked.

"You name it. We're all so desperate for work, you just hoped Diagoras would pick you for something good. Building work, that pays the best."

Martha knelt down to look Frank in the eye. "But what sort of building work?"

"Mainly building that." Frank muttered, pointing over his shoulder. They looked past his shoulder and saw that he was pointing at the Empire State Building.

Martha slowly stood up, making eye contact with Logan, who just shrugged. "Girls' night out?" He hesitantly offered.

For the first time since he'd met the Doctor and Martha, Logan was actually convinced he was going to die. He'd always had a bit of a fear of lifts—but a rickety 1930's lift to the top of the Empire State Building was taking the piss.

"I always wanted to go to the Empire State. Never imagined it quite like this, though." Martha admitted, breaking the silence.

"Where are we headed anyway?" Frank asked, looking around the lift warily.