The Expectations, Expecting, and the Unexpected

" Are you kidding me?" I stroked my finger against the warm screen, grasping its cold underside. 

Sliding up the screen to unlock the screen, I fought back a laugh. A feminine picture of a tiny pigmy pig in a cup appeared as the screen saver. 

" cute" I said with a chuckle. The apps appeared on the screen and I continued my nosy rant. 

Shouldn't I be returning the phone? my concience nagged me.

You have better things to do. I pushed the thoughts to the back of my mind and continued to search.

I moved my finger gingerly to tap on the " Safari" button. Apparently a page was already open, still loading. Must be a lot. 

" Excuse me?" a young girls voice creaked. I felt a slight poking on my right shoulder. 

" Excuse me?" She repeated, a little louder. 

Yeah! almost done loading.

" Yes?" I looked up. A tiny girl about the tender age of 5 stared back at me with large green eyes, which were fogged with tears. Her short red hair fell to her shoulders, which held it together with a purple bow, neatly tied. 

" I need help." She wimpered and grabbed my hand. " I can't find my mommy" her clouded eyes erupted with tears and she sat down directly on the floor. She planted her butt right on the floor. 

I felt a pang of nervousness, 

What the hell do I do? 

She's 5, no ones going to help her. 

" It's okay, I'll help you" I took her tiny hand meekly. Her delecate tiny hands wrapped around whatever they could. by now, her crying faintly stoped to a once and a while wimper. 

" Where's my mommy?" she cried. Her lip curled up and clung to my side. " I can't find her." 

Gosh, what do I do?

My stomach by now was doing summer salts. 

" honey, what's your name?" I said as calm as I could. 

 " Adeline," She said feeling a bit better. Her voice began to pick up " My mommy said it was her mommy's" " What's yours lady?"

I smiled. How cute, I want to have a kid like that.

" Zoe"

" What a pretty name" She said oh so adult like.

PING

The phone vibrated and shouted in my pocket, must have been done loading.

My hand moved toward it but was grabbed by Adeline.

"  So, can you help me?" She said, rocking my hand back and forth. Her wandering eyes obviously scanned the room for her mother.

" Does your mom have a phone?" I asked, removing my own phone from my pocket.

" Huh?" She obviously did not know waht I was talking about. As I took out my phone her eyes lit up.

" My mommy has one! Her number is 1456-334-2344! She told me for emergencies" She snatched the phone and clearly tried to open it. 

" here" I managed to pry it out of her hands and dialed the number. For some reason the number kept comming up as my friend Aria's. Speaking of which, I haven't seen in a while. 

I pressed the calling button and she held the collosle phone to her ear, which was huge in comparison to her head. She wasn't even able to grasp it totally. A meer " hello" was heard at the other end of the line.

" mommy? " She sqwealed, and clung closer to the phone.

" I'm okay mommy, a nice lady named Zoe is watching me. Where are you?" 

" I'll be right there in a few" That all I could make out from the other end of the line. 

She gave the phone to me and ran off. " Thank you nice lady!" She shouted and ran into the croud. I saw her get grabbed into the arms of what seemed like her mother and embraced her grately. 

Wierd. That women looked so farmiliar.

I turned around and finally took the phone out. Striding towards the door, I unlocked the iphone and continued down 5th av. to catch the bus.