Chapter 8

Feliciano's POV

The rink was quiet and peaceful, filled with the soft music of a nearby speaker system and the sounds of soft skates gliding across the sparkling surface of the ice. I shivered a little in the chilly atmosphere, taking in a deep breath of delight.

It'd been so long since I've actually spent some quality time in a place outside of my apartment and the restaurant I take part time shifts in - oh, and my university as well, I guess.

The huge lights nestled into the wall around us gave off a warm, homely light, giving off a sense of serenity as I adjusted the straps of my ice skates. I stood up to make sure that they fit nicely and tottered around a little before sitting down next to Ludwig again. Despite the vast expanse of practically empty ice, it didn't feel lonely, instead serving to making it feel even more calm and private.

"Isn't it so wonderful here? I love the atmosphere and everything about it!"

Ludwig still looked unsure. "The ice seems really rigid."

"Isn't it always?"

"I mean, it looks like if you fall over, the ice is going to do permanent damage to your bone structure, and result in -"

I heaved out a sigh, standing up nimbly making my way across to the gate that opened inwards into the rink. Ludwig carefully followed me, less sure of his footing in the unfamiliar footwear. "You overthink too much, Ludwig! Come on, I'll teach you how to do it! You'll love it in no time!"

__________

"This feels dangerous..."

"You're doing so well though!"

"Really?"

"Yup!"

I was practically walking on the ice with my skates, not really making any effort to skate so that I could follow next to him, encouraging him. His fingers were loosely wrapped around the metal bar that ran along the low wall surrounding the rink, dragging them across as he awkwardly moved along. There was barely any sound apart from the sound of our skis gliding, or sometimes chipping on the smooth ice, the whole rink radiating an aura of peacefulness.

In the silence, I was suddenly very aware of the closeness between our bodies, the way that his hand hovered near mine as though in preparation for falling, the way that his eyes were trained on the ice... everything.

Beside me, Ludwig sighed deeply, now hooking both hands around the metal handhold and turning a little to face me. He had a small smile on his face.

"Well, I dislike giving up easily, but..." He heaved out another sigh, "I'm going to take a break, since I'm not being" He leaned against the barrier, looking out across the ice. "You can have some fun on your own, Feliciano. I'll just watch."

I laughed, gliding on my skates a little distance away from him. "Are you sure? It'll definitely be more fun with the both of us!"

"Ja, of course! I don't want you to not enjoy yourself just because I'm here."

Ludwig's POV

Feliciano's smile lit up the frozen expanse, a sweet radiance that sent my heart into a spontaneous leap, akin to a daring jump from the top of the tallest tower in Berlin. It was an unfamiliar sensation, a realisation striking me with a jolt - I hadn't experienced anything quite like this before.

Perhaps this was the feeling... of having a true friend?

He glided across the ice with an effortless grace, each movement showcasing his mastery as an ice skater. It was like witnessing a trapped bird finally taking flight, soaring through the sky unbound. As he smoothly turned back towards me, laughter dancing in his eyes, he caught the sleeve of my jacket, playfully attempting to pull me into his liberated dance.