06 - Meeting at the Cafe

Gosh, I'm so sorry. At this rate I might just have to publish on Saturdays now... 😅 Anyway. I hope you enjoy nonetheless.
_______________________________

Peter's POV:
      "Then I'll join Ms. Spider-Duchess." I froze. Miles just said that. He really said that. "I'm sorry what?" Miss Duchess and I said at the same time. "You heard me. If you can't understand, then maybe I'm not cut out for Spider-Man," then he turned to our female foe. Or in this case, my female foe. "Can I join you?" She looked just as shocked as I did. If my mask wasn't on, my jaw would've hit the ground. Miles was seriously thinking about joining her. "Miles..." I warned him. I didn't even notice my mistake until later. His eye lenses narrowed at me. "I didn't want to have to do this. But clearly. You don't understand."

"Your lust for vengeance is going to take you nowhere buddy."

"Don't! Call me that. And I don't care. Cause where's my dad when I need him? Dead. Where's my uncle? Yeah, dead. And Simon did it all. I saw it. And if Simon killed you too... I couldn't live with myself." I could hear the tears in his voice as he moved closer to the Spider-Duchess. "Spider-Man. Don't do this." I practically begged. He shook his head. "Sorry man. But if this is the way. Then it's the way. See ya around."

"Please. Don't do this." I didn't know what it was but something in me was genuinely scared.

Not of losing him in general, but the fact that the path he was going down, would lead him nowhere. "Please..." I begged him one more time not to go down that path. "Cause then," I swallowed thickly. "I'll have to arrest you too." He contemplated that thought for a moment. "Not if I don't break the law more than I already have." He really had his heart set on leaving. I looked at Miss Duchess, with a shimmer of hope that she'd refuse. But she said what I knew she was going to say all along. "I mean, if you wanna join me kid. You can."

"Thanks." He was actually thanking her for letting him break the law?! I was so shocked that I couldn't even move. So they both swung away. And of course, it was my fault. As everything always is.

After a few moments of just standing in one spot, I finally gathered the strength to make my way home. Something was weighing me down. But I didn't know how to talk out my feelings so, I never did. I kept them to myself, and just let them drown in the thrill of hiding myself and helping others. Because let's face it. No one, and I mean no one. Will ever, love Peter Parker. Not for who he really was anyway.

*°·~·°*°·~·°*°·~·°*

Y/n's POV:
      The previous day was very interesting. Spider-Kid and I just had a very calming conversation. It had been a while since I talked to someone who understood me. I didn't know exactly what happened between him and Krieger, but it was enough that he absolutely hated the guy. And like me, he didn't want to kill him, he just wanted vengeance. We both also were totally against blackmail, which was nice.

I was sitting down in a cafe, sort of listening to Essy go on and on about how she hated her job. I threw in a few hums, and a couple nods here and there. "Oh!" She stopped talking suddenly. "Look!" She discreetly pointed to something behind me. So I turned to look. I saw the guy from the shelter. It looks like he was just getting in line to order. I turned back around and glared at Esmeralda. She shrugged. "What? He's cute." I rolled my eyes. "Do you agree?" I shrugged.

"I mean. I guess. But I am not interested in some guy. Just so they can use me then drop me the next day." I turned to look at him again. He was unbelievably cute. I smiled dreamily as he finally got his coffee. I watched as he dropped his sugar packet and then when he bent over to pick it up, he knocked down the cardboard display. He then stood up, without the sugar pack, he tried to pick up the cardboard, but ended up dropping his coffee. It didn't splash on him, but some elderly guy. Who began screaming at him about how he should be more careful. I turned back around. Why was he so cute? And clumsy, but in a cute way. "Oh my gosh." Esmeralda spoke up. "I didn't know he was so clumsy. That must be really embarrassing." I nodded in agreement. Though I wish I hadn't seen that, because now, I was pretty sure I had a crush.

We sat there for several more minutes, before there was a shadow looming over our table. I looked up but immediately looked back down. I hated feeling smaller than other people. "Oh. Hi Peter." Esmeralda said cheekily.

"Hey Essy. I was wondering... Can I? Can I sit here? All the other tables are full. And I was going to go, but I thought, why not get to know you guys?" He laughed nervously. I caught Esmeralda raise her eyebrows at me. "Sureeee. But, you'll have to sit next to Y/n. All my stuff is in this seat." I suppressed a glare. "Okay then." He sat down next to me. Yeah, he didn't exactly smell like a dream crush. More like some homeless guy that just put on some deodorant and had just eaten some pancakes. Blueberry if I felt like being specific. I cursed my enhanced senses. "So... Y/n? That's a nice name." He told me. He took a sip of his new cup of coffee. "Thanks. I like your name too." I was always fascinated at the name 'Peter'. I vowed that if I ever had a son I would name him 'Peter'. "Um. Thank you. My name means 'a rock'. But back there I felt more like paper." He laughed at his bad joke. Esmeralda laughed as well. In an obnoxious, "laugh at a guy's not funny joke" way. After that we kind of just sat there and chatted. He was a really easy guy to talk to, and I enjoyed it. But something about his voice was familiar. And not in a good way. His voice annoyed me in a way. Almost in the same manner as Undies.

Before we knew it, the sun was starting to set. Then I remembered my appointment. I had to leave, which I dreaded. "I have to go. I'm sorry." I told them. "Yeah," he looked at his phone. "Me too. I'll see you girls later." He stood and left. I scrambled to give Essy a hug, pay for donuts, and leave the building. When I was behind an alleyway, I tapped my wrist twice to extend my suit then swung to a building. "Don't chicken out now kid." I said to myself. "I didn't," Spoke a voice. "Hello again." Spider-Kid moved closer to me.

"Well, hello." I responded. "How about we get this over with so you can get home?" He was just a kid after all. He had to go to school the next day didn't he?

"Okay."