04 - Meeting Miles

A/n: So, since this book broke 100 reads I'm publishing 2 chapters this week! Thanks you everybody. Enjoy!
_______________________________

Y/n's POV:
It was my first day at the F.E.A.S.T shelter. How I let Esmeralda rope me into volunteering there, I would never know. And it's not like she knew I was the Spider-Duchess. She just thought I worked for a very... Sketchy company. I felt bad about keeping it from her. But best friend, or not, she wouldn't feel bad about telling the police. She hated Spider-Duchess with a passion. And the fact that her mother, father, brother, and boyfriend were all officers. Made her love for cops... just that much of a big deal. I sighed, as I walked through the entrance of the large building. I smiled at a woman who came up to me. She wore her hair under a orange beanie, and man, was I jealous of her simple, black ankle boots. "Hi," she said, shaking my hand. "I'm Gloria. I'm the one mostly runnin' the place here. But that don't matter. I'm just like the rest of ya'll here." I smiled. I found myself already liking her.

"Y/n." I simply said.

"Yep. Essy told me all bout ya'!" I refrained from rolling my eyes. Of course Esmeralda would tell this seemingly kind stranger everything. "Nice. So... Where do I start?" She looked around and shrugged. "Well... Since I don't have your shift up there yet... I know a kid. He could show you round the place. And he could use the adult help. His name is Miles."

"You called me?" I turned my head to see a young... Ish? Boy standing there, looking like he wanted to feel useful. I noted that he probably liked science. Judging by the nerdy robot shirt he wore. I heard Gloria sigh. "No... But since you're here. Why don't you show Y/n round the place. And tell her what you might need help with."

"Okay Gloria. Come on Miss Y/n. I'll show you the main area first." The boy, who I assumed was Miles, began to talk and walk as he led me to a gym. "This is the main area." He informed me. "Oh! And I'm Miles by the way. Miles Morales."

"Entonces, hablas español..." (So you speak Spanish) I kind of asked him. He nodded. "Yeah." He replied, nodding his head. "Oh. You gotta meet someone. He's the coolest. He's like my ment... Tutor! He's my science tutor." He awkwardly laughed at the end of his equally as awkward sentence. He was about to say mentor. I thought to myself. What's wrong with that? I let it go and followed him further into the shelter. Then he stopped. "Why'd you stop kid?" I asked him. Then I noticed he was looking at the TV with his jaw set. I turned my attention towards the TV and watched. I saw myself as Spider-Duchess swinging from a burning building. One I hadn't even set fire to. It wasn't my fault Krieger set up explosives everywhere. I smirked though. They got some pretty good footage of my alter-ego. "The Spider-Duchess strikes again," the male TV reporter began as he stood in the rain and heavy wind. "And it looks like she's robbing from more of Mr. Krieger's bases. Though, there seems to be mixed witnesses about her intentions. We're here with a former homeless man. Emphasis on former." The homeless guy spoke. I remembered him very clearly. He was ecstatic when my alter-ego handed him three expensive watches and a diamond necklace and told him to sell for no less than three thousand for each watch. Turns out he had a wife and kid as well. It was nice, but I only had one goal. "Hey. Miss Y/n?" Miles' voice snapped me from my train of memories. "Yeah. What's up kid?"

"You looked tense," he shrugged, like maybe he was telling himself to let it go because he didn't know me to get all of the good stuff. "You wanna help with the coffee rounds?" He offered. I shrugged as he handed me a coffee pot full of black, probably low-quality coffee. "Sure kid."

"Great!" He smiled warmly. I liked him.

Miles' POV:
The rougher days are tough. But... I was having an okay time at the shelter. Helping out... With coffee. Seriously though, some of those adults were like seriously addicted to coffee. Seriously. It was honestly concerning. But I told myself not to worry though. I didn't know them well enough to worry. Just like I didn't know Y/n Well enough to worry about why she looked tense. Especially when that TV broadcast was playing. But I let it go. I wanted to introduce her to Peter, but I didn't think that Pete was even around seeing as he went to check out another one of Simon Krieger's bases for clues. I continued to show her around F.E.A.S.T and pour coffee into empty mugs. It wasn't the most fun thing ever, but at least 'Coffee Rounds' sounded way better than 'refill coffee for everyone'. And Miss Y/n liked the name, at least I think she did. I didn't really know her too well to know what she thought.

Some days the memories still haunted me. The sharp sting... Not now please. The taunts... No! The laughs... The metallic taste. The lifeless eyes... Stop!

I shook my head as vigorously as I could. "You... okay?" Miss Y/n asked me in an un-concerning way. I nodded quickly then walked off. She could handle the coffee on her own. It wasn't hard at all. Totally not too tough to handle on your first day.

Y/n's POV:
I watched as Miles walked off. Leaving me to just stand there with a coffee pot in my hand. I sighed and returned the coffee pot to the counter where it used to be and ran after him. It was my turn to ask questions. When I finally caught up, I saw him having a conversation with Esmeralda. I jogged up to them. Esmeralda gasped in excitement and hugged me tightly. "Heya girl!" She greeted. Miles avoided my gaze entirely. I noted his behavior as slightly strange. But maybe he was just a bit shy. Which didn't make sense. He was perfectly fine a minute ago. "So... How are you enjoying your time at the shelter?" I admitted to actually kind of liking it. It was nice and so were the people. One of the reasons I stole from Krieger and his investors was to give back to the people that they stole from. Then she began ranting on about her relationship. All good things now, unlike Glenn who constantly complained about his "lazy" and "controlling" girlfriend. I wasn't at all interested in her relationship. Because as it so happened, Miles ran off the moment he saw his chance. "He buys me flowers and... Hey Y/n. You look very... Concerned." Esmeralda may have been somewhat self-absorbed, but she knew when something was off about the ones closest to her. I shrugged and pointed out that Miles had left. "Yeah. I think he's a bit shy."

"Maybe..." I responded. Or maybe he's hiding something. I thought. "Anyway. He's a cool kid. Oh! Have you met May's nephew yet?" She grabbed my hands and began pulling me towards a staircase.

"I haven't met anyone yet." I responded. Deciding to leave out the fact that I had met Miles.

"Yeah... Oh! There he is! Hi Pete!" She waved to... No, way. That was the same guy that helped me pick out a part for my TV. He waved back then his eyes met mine and he immediately looked away. I held back an amused snicker as his cheeks turned pink ever so slightly. "Hey Esmeralda." The man, who I assumed was Peter, gave her a smile then walked over to us and gave Essy a small hug. Then he turned to me. "You must be Y/n. I'm Peter Parker. It's nice to meet you." He smiled awkwardly, but I didn't smile back. His voice sounded vaguely familiar though. As if I knew I heard it before somewhere. Before I could say anything else, he then turned on his heel and speed walked in the other direction. "Well. Someone has a crush." Esmeralda pointed out. I scoffed and playfully hit her arm. "No! Not you. Him. I overheard him telling Miles about the girl that he had helped get a TV part." Esmeralda sighed happily. "Come on. I'll show you around some." She linked her arm in mine and began leading the way. "Yup. Lead the way."

*°·~·°*°·~·°*°·~·°*

I made my way home on the subway. The new Spider-Man was there in camouflage How did I know? Because, some dude bumped into him. Not only that, I could hear him. I snickered when someone else bumped into him. Must've been tough, trying not to be seen, only to be bumped in to and leaving people wondering what they had just hit. The train stopped and and I got off. I lived in Brooklyn. I walked home from the station. "Excuse me ma'am?" I turned my head to see Spider-Man standing right there in the dark. He held out his hand, and in it, was my homemade scarf. It was my favorite one. I sighed, I always dropped that thing. "You dropped this on the train."

"Stalking me now?" I joked, taking the scarf.

"N -no! I just - you just. Dropped this. I wanted to give it back." He dropped his hand then placed them behind his back. "Relax. I was kidding. Thank you. Bye."

"No problemo. See ya'." I watched as he swung away. Spider-Man's protégé. I didn't want him in the quarrel between the original and I. He was a nice kid. And a good kid. And I didn't want to hurt him. But of course. The student would follow the teacher.

_________________________________________
I'm not really happy about this chapter but let me know what you think. I spent a lot of time on it, so feedback would be much appreciated.
_________________________________