"You're passing the baton to another babysitter then," I shrugged his hand off me, standing in the other corner of the room within seconds. 

"Prove to me that you don't need one anymore and maybe I'll let you join the search on ground. I know it doesn't mean much to you, but if you're taken too, we will never get to her; your safety is as important as hers," he said, not sparing me another glance before leaving the room. 

For the first few days, I felt as if I had been rendered completely incapable of thinking. Varun had been appointed to take care of me and he had done a decent job seeing as to how the house was still standing. Rubyn had visited once, hadn't spoken a word and disappeared soon after witnessing my anger. He had decided that it was best for me to remain locked up, and it was hurtful to know that Clarissa hadn't even tried to visit. 

I wasn't angry at them. Honestly, I was angry at myself. 

No one was to be blamed for this. I was right next to her and I should have been enough. After all that's what we are, a team. They expected us to be alright because even if her powers hadn't come to her, mine had and I should have protected her until then. But the feeling of guilt was too much to be ignored and it had turned into anger soon enough. 

The anger was now fading into a resolve to find her but then again, was there anything I could really do while locked here?

"Am I going to meet the same fate as the fine plates in the hall?" Jace peered inside the room, breaking my chain of thoughts. 

"No," I whispered as he allowed himself in, a small device in his hands. 

"Where do you want to set it up?" I asked, determined to get started with the process as Jace carefully placed the monitor on the table beside the bed. He took out a vial from his leather jacket, carefully opening the cover it had been secured in to reveal a purple serum. 

"Is that going to put me to sleep?" I asked, inching towards it. 

We had shared a similar vision before, but did that mean I could connect to her in our dreams? Could I finally see her, but did I want to? What if it left me with nothing? To know that a vision of her would be one of the last is what had haunted me, to see her once again only to be taken away from her was the driving force of my wrath. I couldn't bear to imagine it so why was I so eager to face it?

"You're going to drink this and sit there, I'm going to connect these...things," he wiggled the sensors around animatedly as I rolled my eyes and took a seat beside the bed on an old armchair. 

"Hey, Ed," Jace called out and a man appeared at the door. "Has Varun left?"

"Yes, sir," the man nodded. 

"Secure the perimeter and ask the others not to move a single step. If they're sitting, they'll remain seated for another hour. No one comes inside the house until I say so. Absolute fucking silence or I will hang somebody from the tree, got it?" Jace warned him as the man squirmed out the door. "Shut the bloody doors," he shouted. 

"If you're not focused, this doesn't work," Jace muttered. He was riled up, and I don't know if it was because of me or the situation in general. His fingers were slightly trembling as he connected the apparatus from one end, I could feel his breathing stagger and his heartbeat was beyond fast. I tried not to notice, but the man was sweating bullets and the corner of his forehead was throbbing in anxiety. 

"You okay?"

"Yeah, man," he said, a little too fast. 

"If you're not calm, it doesn't affect this, right?" I had no intentions to joke around, I wasn't in that mindset but if this dumb Muppet did not follow through, I wasn't going to succeed and this would just be another waste.