21. merry and bright.

Start from the beginning

"Just sleep with me," Evan said in accusation. "I know you're tired."

"Aw, are you concerned about my well-being?" Draco teased, trying in vain to derail her inquisition. He pressed his thumb underneath her bottom lip, smiling down at her mouth—at the lips that only he had ever truly kissed.

"Only a little," Evan chuckled. Draco let his hand drop, his eyelids drooping as he looked away. "You're actually reading my book," Evan said in surprise, following his gaze down to Pride and Prejudice, laying between them.

"I think you're trying to hint something to me with this one," he said, touching gently at the golden foil lettering. He couldn't help finding the resemblance to their own situation—the prejudice with which he had treated her, and now the romance that had bloomed between them. It was rather uncanny.

"Not really," Evan laughed. "But I'm glad you're understanding the themes."

He smiled shyly at her. As she looked at him, her face formed back into an expression of concern.

"Come here," Evan whispered. Draco shuffled closer to her, wrapping an arm around her bare waist. "Why won't you sleep?"

"Can't," he replied simply. He pressed his lips into her jaw, barely grazing her with a soft kiss. Evan sighed against his lips, gripping at his hair. But then, she focused up, her eyes narrowed but wearing a smirk that she was trying to hide.

"Fuck you, what's wrong?"

Draco chuckled, shaking his head at her in awe. "Nothing's wrong. Everything's right," he insisted.

"Too excited by your deflowering to go to bed?" she teased, pushing his hair back lovingly from his eyes.

"Something like that, yeah," he admitted.

There was a moment of silence in which Draco just held her, furrowing his eyebrows at the Black Lake out the window. His eyelids dropped, but he wrenched them open.

"I'm not going anywhere, you know," Evan then whispered. The woman was truly an all-knowing entity. Embarrassed, Draco looked down at the book again. "You haven't scared me off."

He always underestimated her, he knew. But Draco was violence and gore and blood and pain. It was his nature.

"Okay," he whispered, chewing on his bottom lip.

"Is that what it is?" Evan asked. She wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled him in closer. Draco was still chewing on the inside of his bottom lip, furrowing his brows.

His insomnia did not have just one source. He was thinking about Evan, about himself, about his father. He'd take another broken nose, a million more screaming matches. He would face his disownment, a martyr for her noble cause.

But Draco didn't think he was worth it to her. He didn't think he ever could be.

"I knew being with you would be good but. . ." he started to explain in a hushed whisper. "But Evan . . . it was fucking divine."

"Agreed," she said with a smirk. Draco smiled lightly up at her, running lazy fingertips up the small of her back.

"I . . . worship you," he murmured, furrowing his brows. He leaned in, whispering to her with his lips just barely grazing hers. "And I want to keep you." He rubbed his nose on hers. Evan exhaled slowly, sighing and melting. Then she was the one to lean in, capturing his lips in hers.

Even just one kiss would have been enough for him. But now, even after he made her bleed and most definitely hurt her, she was kissing him again. Draco groaned in pleasure, pulling her closer, flush against his naked body. Evan sucked on his bottom lip, making every worry flood out of him as his eyes rolled back. She then placed a sweet peck on his lip.