16. cold war.

The next morning, Draco received a letter from Lucius Malfoy. He didn't want to open it.

Draco didn't know how Snape managed to get in contact with him so fast. He could only assume he sent his father an owl mere moments after he left detention—and after rejecting the offer of N.E.W.T. tutoring that his father had so carefully arranged.

Draco considered not even breaking the seal of the envelope, instead sending it directly into the common room fireplace. It was supposed to be a good day, and anything his father had to say would surely ruin the monumental excitement Draco felt at his upcoming plans.

As he sat at breakfast, watching Evan as she laughed and chatted with Blaise, Theo, and Onyx, Draco decided that he would not let the letter ruin their day—as it was theirs, no matter what was written on the supple cream parchment.

So, Draco broke the seal confidently. He pulled the letter out of the envelope, unfolded it, and feasted his eyes upon his father's cursive script.

Draco,
I have just received the most fascinating correspondence from your Potions professor.

I do not know why you have decided to take my direct orders as optional. It was good of Severus to offer his assistance. If you desire any sort of honorable career, or a life at all, do not slam the doors that I am able to open for you.

You will go to tutoring on Monday night. Seven o'clock sharp. Do not mistake me again.

Draco scowled, his heart punching up into his throat with rage. He gripped the parchment tightly in his hands, resisting the urge to shred the letter to pieces.

We will further discuss your behavior during the Christmas holiday. For now, do not give Severus reason to contact me again.

Lucius Malfoy.

Draco exhaled and stuffed the letter into his pocket.

When they all returned to the common room, about to head to their morning classes, Draco tossed the balled-up parchment into the fireplace.

Before Draco followed the others to class, he took out his own parchment, his own quill, and wrote his own note.

I'd like a do-over.

Astronomy Tower. Midnight.

- D.

He slipped it into Evangeline's cloak, hanging on a hook by the door as he walked out of the portrait hole.

After class, Draco snuck into the Divination classroom before lunch. He creeped around the room, on the look out for bug-eyed witches and hoping the 'sight' couldn't see through walls. He heard Professor Trelawney in her adjacent office, humming and rummaging around. He tiptoed to the center of the room, sweating from the stifling warmth, and grabbed a couple of the gigantic, plush pillows seated around the divination tables. He casted an extension charm on his nap sack and stuffed the pillows in, tiptoeing out of the door.

Draco then went on to lunch with his bag stuffed with pillows. He had to resist a shit-eating grin as he sat across from Evan at the Slytherin table. It was all so fucking ridiculous. He had swiped blankets from the Slytherin common room, stolen dozens of candles from a class supply closet, and now Evangeline Blackwood had made him into a goddamn pillow thief.

The day passed on, anticipation drawing the hours along. When Draco walked to Potions that afternoon, he watched out the window as Evangeline walked down to Hagrid's hut. He smiled to himself knowingly, ecstatic that the day was almost at an end and would soon welcome the frivolity of night. He stood by his cauldron in class with Theo, Blaise, and Parkinson, brewing Veritaserum and trying not to let his mind wander. This was an arduous task, as he was getting nervous and felt slightly unwell.